Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what kind of RAM to buy?

• Please log in to reply

tempjag

tempjag

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

I want to upgrade my RAM because I think I only have 256MB right now. I just don't know which type of RAM to buy or if I have enough slots or how much RAM my motherboard supports...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
go to www.crucial.com and use their ram advisor...you put in your computer make/model or motherboard make/model and it will tell you what kind of ram and how much of it you can install...they'll also give you a pretty good price for buying said ram...but you're not required to buy from them to use the advisor

tempjag

tempjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks man!

here's what i got:

Attached File  untitled.bmp   268.43KB   225 downloads

i have DDR PC2000 and DDR PC2700 and i think i have no slots left.. so which one should i buy? 2000 or 2700?

is that all im going to say at the store? DDR PC2*00?

ty again

Edited by tempjag, 29 June 2007 - 01:50 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pc2700 is faster than pc2000 so if available i'd go with 2700...according to that you can have a gig or so of ram in there...XP runs really well on 512...and better on 1 gig...so you can whatever combination of two sticks that will make up the desired amount

i'd like to see the actual full page that you got tha tscreen shot from though...there's a little more info

tempjag

tempjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
here"s the image again:

Attached File  untitled.bmp   384.12KB   195 downloads

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...it's not showing the extra info i wanted hehe...basically whether you need ECC or NON ECC ram...or buffered or unbuffered...it's probably the case that you need unbuffered and non ecc....so when you go to the store ask for pc2700 ram...it might be smart to bring one of your current sticks of ram with you just to help match it up..

tempjag

tempjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok thanks ds.

So it's DDR PC2700.

by the way, how do I know what model is my motherboard? because i used their scanning tool, and to get more info u need to enter ur specs.

i know its intel, motherboard, but i dont know the exact model?

how do i now?

tempjag

tempjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok i downloaded this cpu-z program and here's the results..

Anyways, do i need to know the Mhz ? What Mhz of the RAM do i need? Coz I have 2 different, which ones better so thats what I will leave together with the new one.

===
CPU

Posted Image

===
MOTHERBOARD

Posted Image

===
MEMORY

Posted Image

===
MEMORY SLOT 1
Posted Image

===
MEMORY SLOT 2
Posted Image

^^^^^^^^
On this screenie, it says 133 MHz and 166 Mhz.. I'm confused, which one should I tell the store ?

DDR PC2700 __ MHz?

And the .txt Report

Attached File  cpuz.txt   26.7KB   150 downloads

Edited by tempjag, 29 June 2007 - 11:04 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
get the 2700...you don't really have to worry bout the ram timing (the mhz part)...that's controlled by the ram itself....

tempjag

tempjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
thanks man