Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Radeon 2600s and 2400s

• Please log in to reply

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Well, the new ATI/AMD cards are out, and from the early reviews they are not what we were all hoping for:

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=3023
http://www.thetechlo... 2600 XT 256MB/

Hopefully driver revisions will help going forward, but I can definitely say that I'm disappointed with these benchmarks and if you're building a system right now then go for the nVidia 8800 GTS 320 MB or better...or hold of on DX10 until the improvements are made on the mainstream cards.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They arent what you are hoping for but people totally ignored what AMD said they were going to be which is exactly what they are budget cards super cheap and mass produced for the budget and OEM crowd, small power effeicient CPUs to give DX10 cheap as possible for low end dx10 non gaming applications, gaming is the 2900 which is pretty good and only getting better with drivers and the new revisions finally coming the ddr4 version is avaiable now.

AMD have totally screwed ATI and this generation but nvidia is having a bad year too, AMD have shifted ATIs focus towards competing with Intel in the low end market and only letting them concentrate on a smaller high end line up and even at that they no longer even have the super high end range any more last gen the equivalent to the 2900 was just the mid-high end card this gen they have no 500 pound monster card.

If you are building a budget system the AMD line up is decent especially if you arent much of a gamer otherwise until you get to the 2900 and big GTS its all rubbish.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
For lower resolutions the 320MB card is just fine with little or no difference compared to its larger brother.

AMD hasn't screwed ATI, the problem lies a while back. I can't remember exactly what happened but they based an assumption on where the market was moving in the future (for coding) and everything went in the opposite direction causing them to scrape 6 months of work. Which caused all the delays that we are seeing and because of which worse hardware then what could have been completed.

I wouldn't say AMD is quite aiming ATI at Intel because Intel doesn't have any discreet cards at the moment, only have onboard and buying a another component is adding cost to a build when intergraded graphics is already there with no additional cost. That being said it's going to become very interesting in Q4 when Intel releases their first "ultra" high end cards. With lower end cards to follow in 2008. I personally won't be buying their first cards no matter how well they perform as every company has bugs to work out when they enter a field for the first time.

James

Edited by james_8970, 28 June 2007 - 12:21 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If intels first card performs fantastically it wouldnt have any bugs would it, and it doesnt matter what generation it is its always going to have bugs its just something that happens.

When AMD took over ATI they shifted there development focus away from the high end cards into lower end cards(the 2400 and 2600 are actually going to be available in integrated according to the AMD roadmap or at least a version of them) a card can compete with integrated its a choice from the developer to do one or the other they arent exclusive we will start seeing more boards with ATI integrated gfx. The prototype r600 GPUs from ATI were very good they were based on there work with microsoft when they developed DX10 but MS dragged their feet and instead of having dx10 established by the time of the card release hardly anyone had it and when that happened they had to rethink the approach(along with the new influence from AMD) they sat on the original GPU so long it went out of date and the manuafacturing process had to be redone that messed it up its the reason why the 2900 uses such a large manufacturing process it was based on the work they had allready done if delays and takeovers outside of ATI hadnt happened the r600s should have been out long before they were before the 8 series from nvidia.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes this is very true that every card will have a bug, I'm just the kind of person who likes to wait after a company enters a new market for the first time with no experience (in the discrete graphics field).

If they can manage to intergrade those cards then yes I agree they are trying to compete with Intel, which would make sence since Intel sells by far the most onborad video cards at the moment.

James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They will make fantastic laptop chips, the performance isnt great but with that price they will beat anything in the laptop market even if they dont perform that well integrated.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Lets hope anyways, AMD is finding themselves is a difficult position right now. With 50% of all profits going to paying a loan and having under performing equipment, thus having the charge less to remain competitive. Lets hope Barcelona and it's desktop/laptop brother will be powerfull enough to compete and even exceed Intel. While I don't prefer one company over the other, I take whats performing/$$$, but a world with a monopoly running from Intel would be a bad day indeed. Prices of PC's would skyrocket.
James