Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply

chevygurl

chevygurl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer will turn on and beep several times and then nothing it just sits there and hums. the monitor just sits there saying there is no power coming from tower or cord isnt hooked up. It was working until I unplugged it and moved it to the other side of my desk. I hope someone can please help me

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
What is the make and model of the computer?? I will need this information before we can start to help you. Hope that this helps.

chevygurl

chevygurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Its premio, not sure of anything else but if you can tell me where I can find this information I can get it for you. Thank you

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I think I know what's wrong , BRB

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok,

Sorry about the second post thing.

Let's assume there is nothing wrong, because you did not do anything other than move and unplug the PC.

Let's also assume you have a mainboard with onboard graphics AND an addon video card!

When you plugged it back in, you plugged the monitor cable into the WRONG VGA outlet on the back of the PC, there are two of them, most likely light blue in colour.

Switch the cable over and see the light!

Don't feel silly, this is a common mistake that catches people out.

The beeps are warnings from your mainboard's EPROM chip that the video cable is not sensed.

Edited by Congo, 11 April 2005 - 09:13 AM.

chevygurl

chevygurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
NO thats not it cause when the monitor isnt hooked up it still beeps like that. I put it all bvack where it was and hooked it back up the way it was. And still have beeps and nothing else just a hum.. I hope you can help. Thanks

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Exactly, the system will do that if there is no monitor, or if the monitor is in the wrong outlet, it sees it the same.

Just tell me you checked to see if there was another VGA outlet on the back please.

chevygurl

chevygurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
not like the one that its plugged into. thats the only place it can get put

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Is there any pattern to the beeps, like 1 long and 2 short or is it just 1 intermittent beep.

First try and reseat the memory if it came loose it would produce a beeps

Caution before touching anything inside the case ground your self from static electricity by touching a metal object such as the case. Make sure the computer is off and unpluged from the wall outlet

The model number and model name is important for us to get info, look for stickes that may have the model or series.

Here is the premio site
see if it helps you determine witch model you have.

Rick

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK, thx chevygurl,

Well, now let's assume something is wrong then lol.

I would do as Doby suggests and unplug - replug you ram and video card very carefully. If you have an AGP video card, they can be just slightly out of position in the slot and you will get the same symptoms you describe, and the same goes for the ram.

IF that doesnt work, then disconnect all peripherals including the hard disc and try again.

chevygurl

chevygurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes doing the ram and video card thing did work. Seems a screw came loose and it was REALLY loose so I put it back in and it works fine.. Thank you everyone for all your help I do appreciate it. Saved me alot of money :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
GRRReat seems we got one to work anyway.

Rick

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Glad to help. :tazz: ;)