Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive Missing From Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

centinex

centinex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I recently purchased a new HP laptop with Vista installed. I uninstalled Vista and used my existing copy of XP Professional. After installing drivers from HP's website, all was well, and the computer was in full working order.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my DVD burner was not listed in My Computer. After further investigation, I discovered that it was completely gone, missing from the Device Manager as well, with no exclamation marks or errors to indicate a device error or driver issue. The device is not discovered with "Add new hardware." Simply put, the drive has disappeared from XP.

I am positive this is a problem with XP, as I can boot from the drive fine, and the installation of XP on another partition shows the drive working fine. Furthermore, I can repair the bad XP installation with no problems, but upon booting back into Windows after the repair, the drive is missing.

I frequently use Virtual CD-ROM drives to mount images that I have ripped. I believe this may or may not have contributed to the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated, as I have spent countless hours surfing the net trying to find a working solution to my problem. I will go ahead and point out that I have attempted to remove the LowerFilters and UpperFilters values from the registry section, per the SP2 upgrade bug. This has not fixed the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hey and welcome to G2G.

First things first centinex. Boot to your BIOS and check if your drive is detected there, if it's not then it's probably an issue with the drive.
Correct me if I'm wrong but when you turn on the machine the led on the drive turns on right? and can you open the drive at all?

I await your reply, -OCM770-