Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP error blank.exe

• Please log in to reply

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you in advance for your help. I am getting errors when I try to read any docs that says " blank.exe" cant be located and it asks me to specify a path. I read that this was due to a virus that has left a bad line in the registry. Any idea where to look or what I should do? I also have an issue where my wife tried to send 500 megs through our email and now my outlook is totally locked and I cant even get them out of my outbox. I tried to reinstall office but it keeps that data it seems. Any ideas on this one would be nice as well. Thanks again for the help

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Believe you will have to find the Outlook box itself and delete it and let Outlook rebuild a new one. As to the blank.exe problem, please go to the Malware section of this forum and follow the instructions at the top. Especially the Click Here link. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up most of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the cleanup process you are still having difficulty, and you may not be, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Please be patient as the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the Malware Section, please return to this thread. Please do not post a HiJackThis log in this thread unless asked to do so and then only as an attachment. To attach log, when requested, either change the .log extension to .txt, or put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

Please post back if your problem has been solved.

Ron

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ron,
Thank you for the fast reply. I did scan everything and it was clean. I decided to try a reinstall of xp and that fixed the blank.exe problem. I will try to reinstall outlook now and see what happens, I deleted it from Add/Remove and also removed all contents in any office folders. I will let you know how it turns out. thank you again for your reply.

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok well that did not work. It seems no matter how I delete it I get the same stuff back in the inbox so it looks like it never deletes it althought it says it has. Is there anyway to get a clean fresh start with outlook so it wont load those old settings? When I start outlook (even in safe mode) I can get to the outbox and I can see those huge emails sitting there but if I try and remove them I get " the messaging interface has returned an unknown error please restart outlook) which I do and I get the same thing. I get the same error in any of my outlook boxes.

Edited by chrisw1100, 28 June 2007 - 01:21 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Take a look at this and see if this will help with the Out Box:

How can I stop a message in my Outlook outbox that won't send?

This might still be effective for you:

How to troubleshoot mail stuck in the Outbox in Outlook 2000

Maybe try creating a new user's account in Outlook and see if that works.

Ron

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thats a good idea Ron I will give it a try. Thanks again I will let you know if I get it corrected.

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well I finally just broke down and got rid of all the .pst files. It also had an issue where the pst file was over 2GB so I used a tool from microsoft to scale it down and delete. All is well now. I am actually kinda proud of myself on this one as it took awhile but I got it :whistling: Ron, thank you and all the staff at geeks, you all do a great job helping people like myself. It is very much appreciated. Have a great holiday.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thank you for posting your solution and glad you got the problem solved. That was basically what I was trying to get you to find to delete only was the outbox, but your solution may have been better. LOL

happy 4th to you.

Ron