Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tranxit

• Please log in to reply

bulldog72

bulldog72

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an old IBM Thinkpad 365ED running Windows 95 with some text files I would like to transfer to another computer. I don't have the network card for this machine, only parallel and serial ports. Also, it has a CD drive that doesn't work.
It has a program called Tranxit that is supposed to transfer files via parallel or serial cables, but both machines need to have this program loaded in order to use it. Do you know where I can download this program for free? Any other suggestions to get these files to another place where I can use them would be great. Thank you for any help.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, problem is that to do this requires a special cable. Laplink used to be the defacto standard in doing this. If your not adverse to pulling the hard drive from the laptop, then you can use a usb to ide hard drive adapter. for about $15 you can get one that will do all hard drive formats (ide/sata 2, 2.5, and 3.5 formats).

it will look something like this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812156101
although this one is for standard ide (desktop drives).

bulldog72

bulldog72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Starjax. If I was in the business it would be well worth it to invest in an IDE power adapter. However, I'm just saving this half-baked novel for my sister-in-law so I used some other advice. From www.kime.net I got instructions on how to use a free utility included with Windows 95 called direct cable connect (DCC). I couldn't get it to work with the parallel cable I have (the guide says it must be "interlink" compatable) but I did transfer the files via serial port-to-port at 115200 baud. Yeah, that's 115KB/second!! But it was only some 3.8MB that I was moving so it took like 20 minutes. Like everybody's having flashbacks to the good ole days, right? Thanks for trying and I will be coming back here when I need to ask for more assistance.