Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop shuts off at random times

• Please log in to reply

mickeyasr

mickeyasr

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a Gateway 4026 laptop that shuts off at random times. It doesn't matter if the power comes from A/C or battery. Is this the sign of a bad power unit? If not, what else could this be?

If this is a power unit, are these pretty easy to replace for the average person? Also, other than the mfg, is there a good source for a replacement part?

Thanks!!

Advertisements

glucagon

glucagon

• Pip
  • 9 posts
most likely be overheating

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glucagon, while overheating may be the case I don't think that is going to be very helpful....

Mickyasr download Everest Home Edition here: Everest.

Run the program and under "sensor" it will display your current temperatures and voltages. Please report those here.

If this is a power unit, are these pretty easy to replace for the average person?

In a desktop, yes. I wouldn't consider anything "easy" when dealing with laptop hardware. Laptops don't have conventional power supplies like desktops though.

Edited by Titan8990, 28 June 2007 - 01:53 PM.

mickeyasr

mickeyasr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
From a cold start, the temps read 39*C on the CPU and 28*C on the Seagate. After about 15 min, the temp went up to 34*C on the Seagate, but the CPU stayed the same.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi mickeyasr

I'm going to let Titan8990 continue to help you but until he returns, I'm gonna make a quick suggestion...

You recorded the temps at cold start & again 15 mins after powering on. May I suggest that you check the temperatures again after half an hour or an hour of heavy use (i.e play a game or watch a DVD on the laptop, anything that will put it under load).

Also consider where the laptop is normally situated. For example, if you normally place the laptop on your lap or on a bed/cushion/sofa etc, then the chances are that air vents are being blocked & the laptop is likely to get hot.

mickeyasr

mickeyasr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
After about an hour of use, these are the temps: 91*C CPU and 36*C Seagate. I've been using the laptop on a glass table with nothing (besides me) within a 2 ft. radius. I would definitely say the CPU has heated up!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Those temperatures how high enough to do some serious damage. I would try not to turn it on untill you get this issue resolved.

Dust is a major cause of overheating. You can get cans of air at any computer or office store. With temperatures that high you will probably have to open the laptop up and clean it. Remove the battery before doing this. I don't have any first hand experience with that on laptops so hopefully someone else will drop in.