Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router w/ USB cable modem

• Please log in to reply

stokeybo17

stokeybo17

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently bought a lynksys wireless router, which i have used before and installed with no problems (on another computer using an ethernet connection for the modem)

The computer in question is setup as follows : Windows XP SP2, Scientific-Atlanta Cable Modem, Comcast Cable service

The cable modem is currently connected to the PC via USB. There problems with the network card(?- im pretty sure its installed correctly and drivers are up to date) and the modem wouldnt connect with an ethernet connection. I've been off at school (this computer is at home) and have ignored this for a while. However, I am wishing to setup the wireless router at home, temporarily.

The router has no USB ports, and it seems the modem wont allow for a connection from both USB and ethernet at once (i sometimes plug my laptop in to the modem for internet access)

To sum it up, my question is this: is there a way for me to network the wireless router so that the modem can still be connected to the desktop with USB?

EDIT: if possible, i want to try to avoid having to mess with the network card, but would unistalling/reinstalling this help?

Edited by stokeybo17, 28 June 2007 - 10:22 AM.

Advertisements

Yellowleader

Yellowleader

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ok this is a simple fix. Your saying you cant hook up your Laptop to the router and keep it on the desktop at the same time. This is simple, we just need to to hook up the router like it is supposed to be hooked up during set up, then simply plug the Laptop into another port in the back:

Posted Image

Now, to start this hook up, run out to walmart/Bestbuy/Circuit City/etc. and look for an adaptor entitled something along the lines of "Ethernet to USB" ... it is small and should only cost like $10

then you:

1) Plug the Adaptor into the back of the USB port on the Modem
2) Plug an ethernet cable into the back of the Adaptor
3) Plug that ethernet cable into the back of the Router in the internet port
4) Complete, now set up the router

Now you can have the Router hooked up to your PC, and use 1 of the 4 slots on the back of the router for hooking up with ethernet to your laptop or annthing else

As to the the network card, reinstallign the drivers would possibly help, but if we are going to just hook up with ethernet to the back of the router, then there is no need, unless you want to fix it ...

hope that helped :whistling:
- Matt

Edited by Yellowleader, 28 June 2007 - 01:13 PM.

stokeybo17

stokeybo17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
before i went out and got an adapter, i figured i would just try to reinstall the network card. it worked this time and i got the router up and running.

thanks for the help, i never even realized that there were ethernet-usb converters, that might come in handy in the future

Yellowleader

Yellowleader

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
No problem dude lol

I didnt really know that you could convert from ehternet to USB either until like about a month ago. I didnt think you could do that drastic of a convert but i guess it is possible :whistling:

glad everything worked out