Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two processes taxing CPU on laptop

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I'm looking at a guys laptop for him because he said it's running slow. I found two services - spoolsv.exe and Wmiprvse.exe - battling each other for complete domination of the laptop's CPU. It seems that Wmiprvse.exe usually is running at around %60 while spoolsv.exe takes whatever is left. In the task manager, the CPU is maxed out.

I looked up both of these services but am not sure what can be done now. Spoolsv.exe is a printer spooler service. The other, Wmiprvse.exe, is some process that allows for remote installation of programs in an Enterprise.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Wmiprvse.exe is an essential process related to Windows Management Instrumentation. However, I have not seen it consume so many resources. It might be malware posing as Wmiprvse. The system file should be found in C:\Windows\system32\wbem\ If found elsewhere, malware would be my first suspicion. Spoolsv is not essential, merely convenient. It allows print jobs to be held for printing as a batch. Spoolsv is a "Service" listed as Print Spooler. It can be set to Manual or Disable. Some printers may require it for proper function, but it will not adversely affect Windows to turn it off, at least temporarily. Since WMI has to do with hardware, and spoolsv is related to printing, I would troubleshoot the printer, and its software (drivers) as a possible cause in the absence of malware.