Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp

• Please log in to reply

anicram

anicram

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I been trying to help my mom fix her hp but its acting retarded. First we updated the windows using the xp cd, that worked fine until the system started crashing and we lost our internet connection? Ok, so then i called our internet provider for dsl, and of course their system is working fine, its my computer. Ok so i put the xp cd back in to run the self recovery program, that didnt work now the system wont boot up at all and it's giving me a error message; <Windows root> \system32\hal.dll The computer claims windows cant start because this file is missing or corrupt. The other error message it gives me says: Sorry No IDE/ 80 conductor installed? whatever that is....Does anyone know how i go about fixing this computer so it accesses the web without shutting itself off and rebooting?

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
see if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477 helps, still trying to figure out how to paste it as a link without the www showing :-)

Edited by Adrenalin, 30 June 2007 - 04:52 PM.