Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File system type for MAC

• Please log in to reply

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I have a Mac OS DVD burned 2/3 years ago and would like to install on a desktop. I'm just wondering what type of file system for harddrive does mac require for installing. Is it FAT32 or NTFS or just a blank hard drive space like linux required?

I'm asking this is because I have tried to install it on my desktop, but then it just did nothing with a circle in the middle of the screen.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Nick-YF19

Nick-YF19

Malware Expert

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • MVP
First question is what kind of computer is the desktop? Mac OS X will only install on an Apple computer. If it is a Mac, then what kind is it? PowerMac, iMac G5, etc? What version of Mac OS is on the disk? 10.4 Tiger, 10.3 Panther?

As far as file system, the install disk will format the hard drive to HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) assuming you have Tiger.

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hmm that would be my windows desktop. So you can only install Mac on an apple comp? That is just... and I dont know what kind of Mac it is on my dvd.

I thought that I could have a triple boot for my computer. Ok...my wish just broke.