Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bootup Problems (Hardware novice, long-ish post)

• Please log in to reply

bobbywilson

bobbywilson

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hope you guys can help me out here!

First of all I'm not entirely sure if my problem here is software or hardware related, so my apologies if I got things wrong. My problem is that my desktop has problems booting up after I have shut it down the night before. It fails to boot up properly after being powered off over a night and keeps rebooting at startup and failing to enter Windows. This problem has cropped up since yesterday. Here's what usually seems to happen.

1) I start up the computer. It usually runs well at first, cos it manages to enter windows.

2) Once windows seems to load up, the computer reboots by itself.

3) Subsequently, the computer will have problems entering windows after that. Upon reboot, I will usually get one of these 2 error messages (on black screen):

error message 1:
<<<CPU is not working or has been changed. Please check soft menu.>>>
-> Press any key to run setup

when i press any key i enter BIOS setup. here, i will just reset my BIOS and exit the BIOS setup, and the computer will reboot again.

error message 2:
this is the usual message saying that windows has failed to run for some reason, and the message prompts you to either run the computer in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last working settings or just run windows normally.

here, no matter what I choose, the computer usually reboots again.

4) On some occasions the computer does not reboot (it has rebooted about 50 times..) but manages to enter the black Windows XP loading screen before rebooting abruptly again. On even rarer occasions it manages to enter the blue colour Welcome screen before it reboots. Today, it managed to go all the way to Windows twice. The first time, the computer rebooted abruptly again whilst I was using the comp halfway. The second time, it has managed to work (for about 1 hr and counting), and so here i am asking for help here...

what I did yesterday: Yesterday the same problems were already cropping up. I thought initially it was some software problem, so I inserted my Win XP CDROM and tried to use the 'fix Windows' option. Since this problem is cropping up again today, I think the problem does not lie with Windows. Also, yesterday I tried to shut down and bootup my computer a few times and it seemed to work fine after that. (maybe my problem seems to crop up only after the computer has been turned off through an entire night?)

my system: running WIN XP SP2, pentium 4 2.4ghz, 512MB RAM, system about 2 yrs old, system fan is running well, Speedfan seems to tell me my harddisk is healthy and the computer temperature is fine at 40 degrees C. I have not made any software tweaks to my system recently, and I have not touched any hardware components at all these 2 yrs. Also did a check for viruses, spyware, no results yielded.

I will supply more info if needed. Hope someone can help me!

a side qn: since my computer is having these bootup problems, my temporary solution now is not to shut down my PC at all but to either keep it on standby mode or hibernate mode. Just want to ask u guys- which mode is better/safer?

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
well id advise u 2 get the xp cd and rapair windows and as for that error message please tell me the motherboard manufactorer and model so i can find out detail i have heard that cpu error on a number of older machines but ill figure it out of look it up if u can give me more imfo but xp repair will also be neccacery if u r unsure of how to do this let me know and ill explain and find referances for u.

james

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Change the mother board battery then do a repair install of windows.

error message 1:
<<<CPU is not working or has been changed. Please check soft menu.>>>
-> Press any key to run setup

You will get this error when cmos has lost the bios info stored in it do to a weak battery

Make sure you load the bios defaults (or fail safe defaults if this is a Abit board witch I beleive it is) after you change the battery, don't forget to save when you exit. Then do the repair install to windows.

After windows is running properly you should reboot to bios and load optimizes defaults or manually setup your cpu fsb and ram clock.

As for error #2, some were along the line with all the reboots windows got messed up

Rick

bobbywilson

bobbywilson

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Cheers guys, thanks for the help. I think I'll be hunting for a new battery soon then.

Info requested: my motherboard is ABIT SR7-8X.

anyway guys, just to emphasize, i already tried to repair windows on the first day opf the problem but the problem came back again on the second day. i guess it pinpoints the problem to the battery?

Currios_boy

Currios_boy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't know if this will help you, but you should check the ram. If u have for instance 2x512 ram, then they should be from the same provider and should have
the same frequency.

bobbywilson

bobbywilson

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I don't know if this will help you, but you should check the ram. If u have for instance 2x512 ram, then they should be from the same provider and should have
the same frequency.

View Post

Hmm.. i think the ram shouldn't be a factor because i have not touched the ram components for almost 2 years and they have been working perfectly all the time before this problem came about.