Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hopefully a quick question about RAM

• Please log in to reply

pphoffman

pphoffman

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My Windows XP seems to be very slow recently. Lots of disk churning associated with almost anything I do. iTunes will skip if any other application is running (almost).

I have 1Gb of physical RAM and my "perfomance" section of task manager seems to indicate about 605Mb in use with about 2 programs running. The disk cache is about 1500Mb. Even though it shows 400Mb of RAM "available" - am I likely to experience a performance boost by adding another gig of ram?

Many thanks in advance for replies...

paul

Advertisements

Plies

Plies

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
If you have 1 gig of RAM, iTunes certainly shouldn't skip in the first place..

Try DiskClean-Up, Disk Defragment, Virus Scan, & Adware/Spyware Scan.
Also try an application that is very useful in my own experience: CCleaner

If you still seem to experience slow performance, add another gig if you wish.

FredFlintstone

FredFlintstone

• Pip
  • 3 posts
How much free space is left on your hard drive pphoffman? (not RAM, just your hdd space)

pphoffman

pphoffman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have 11.5Gb of free space...

FredFlintstone

FredFlintstone

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well if you still have 400 megs free of RAM, and its obvious your page file isnt maxing out your free space for virtual memory, then I do not recommend buying more RAM. This sounds like a problem elsewhere for sure.

Definitely go ahead and defrag your hdd first.

Also, go ahead and try this. Since you are familiar with task manager, perform the same operation you did before in order to get the skipping problem with iTunes and slow computer performance. Now, bring up task manager, go to the processes and tab and click on the CPU Column header so it orders all the processes by CPU usage.

What is taking up most of the CPU usage when you are having this issue?