Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

power supply installatoin

• Please log in to reply

frantikmom

frantikmom

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I really messed up....when I removed the existing power supply I thought I have marked where everything went so I could hook up the new PSU. I didn't.....the fans work but the hard drive will not turn on.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hard drives either work or they don't. Most likely you haven't pushed the molex in properly.

frantikmom

frantikmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have checked and double checked the plugs, they are all in as tight as they can be, I dont know what a molex is but the motherboard is plugged in and is latched, the cd drive is plugged in and also the hard drive. The fans still work but nothing happens when I press the power switch.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you give us some more details we might be able to help you find out whats going on. Why did you remove the power supply? Did you plug both the 20-24 pin connector and the square 4 pin connector into the motherboard? Were you having problems with your system before?

frantikmom

frantikmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I had contacted eMachines tech support because the computer would not turn on at all and they said it was probably the power supply. So I purchased the power supply and have installed it....I don't see where there is a place to plug in the 4 pin...where does that go?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Posted Image

+12V power connector is what you are looking at. If your computer is older it may not have one. Emachine power supplies are notorious for that.