Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Repair Help.

• Please log in to reply

Deiz

Deiz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, earlier today while gaming on my operating HDD, I encountered a momentary BSOD and then an instant reboot - But got the hal.dll corrupt / missing error.

Firstly, I ran chkdsk. No problems whatsoever.. However, strangely, it took almost 2 hours to run the scan, and yet my operating HDD is only 320 GB.

For whatever reason, I don't have the standard Repair Install option in the XP CD.. Only the repair console, and the option of either formatting and re-installing, or installing a parallel Windows folder on the same partition.

I installed the second copy of Windows on the drive, and overwrote the old hal.dll with the new one.

I've heard the hal.dll error is caused by one of two things, one being hal.dll being corrupt of missing, the other being a problematic boot.ini, so, for good measure, I created a new boot.ini, yet I'm still have the hal.dll error.

If I try to log onto the new copy of Windows on the same drive, I get in fine.

Any suggestions?

And secondly, is it possible to get to the recovery installer if it's not displayed by default?

Edit:

After doing the parallel installation and grabbing the apparently corrupt hal.dll, and fixing the boot.ini, I left a back-up copy of the original Windows folder in C:\ under the name of Windows1 (As the parallel install had been Windows0.)

However, when I went to double-check the boot.ini through the recovery console, the only Windows installation it reported on that drive was the parallel install, stuffed away in the recycle bin.

Edit 2: Taking the parallel copy out of the recycle bin, and booting to it, I was then able to start an XP re-install on the drive and successfully get to the repair screen.. But only the parallel copy was displayed.

Is it possible to force the installer to recognize the other installation?

Edited by Deiz, 29 June 2007 - 02:21 PM.

Advertisements

Deiz

Deiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Bump.

Totally stumped here.

Just ran CHKDSK again and it did find a small problem.. And again, took nearly 2 hours to complete.