Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Consultancy Advice

• Please log in to reply

Tinea

Tinea

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to get consultancy from a big tech company. All I want is development advice, but they are asking me to disclose information such as the name of my customer (with whom they will have no contact), and how many CPUs we deploy to. I don't want to disclose this information, as much as anything because I am suspicious as to why they want it - it seems like a fishing trip. Is this standard practice? Will I just have to give in? And does anyone know why they want to know?

Any other advice when negociating with them? I am a techie, and a bit of a noob in the commercial arena...

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
What are you trying to get them to consult?

Tinea

Tinea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I want someone to work with the development team to get them up to speed on the consultant's product, and with that general technological area.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I don't think I can help you. Ive never met a consultant with a product, thats the benefit of using a consultant, they can give you the best alternatives without being sold to one specific product.

Sounds to me more like you want training, not consulting. In which case, you'll have to tell them the number of computers so that they know what to expect during the training. It also might be a good idea to tell them the name of the company since they will need to know where to go to do the training.