Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC will not shut down when I select "Shut Down"

• Please log in to reply

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
HI,

For about the last 2 weeks, I have had difficulty trying to shut down my Windows XP pc. In the end I have to hold the power button in to shut it down.

When using the "Shut Down (Button)" via "Start" menu, I get a message about a hidden shutdown monitor, but I haven't a clue why!

Any idea's as to how I find out why the pc won't shut down correctly?

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS

Advertisements

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Take a look here - WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTART TROUBLESHOOTING

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Take a look here - WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTART TROUBLESHOOTING

Hi,

Thanks for the link.

I have looked through the information contained in the link, however I need some help understanding the probelms identified.

Whilst reading the link above, my pc gave a blue screen error. The error reported is as follows:

STOP:0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xEC5DB2C0, 0xF7A8F75C, 0xF7A8F458)

I have found out that:
0x0000007E = Bug Check 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
0xC0000005 = STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
0xEC5DB2C0 = Bug Check 0xEC: SESSION_HAS_VALID_SPECIAL_POOL_ON_EXIT
0xF7A8F75C = Bug Check 0xF7: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
0xF7A8F458 = Bug Check 0xF7: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

The last 2 (0xF7) show the cause could be:
A driver overran a stack-based buffer (or local variable) in a way that would have overwritten the function's return address and jumped back to an arbitrary address when the function returned.

This is the classic "buffer overrun" hacking attack. The system has been brought down to prevent a malicious user from gaining complete control of it.

How do I take the above information and correct the issue. I do not know how to debug.... which is something a few of the issue's mentioned doing to resolve.

Any further help is appreciated.

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS

In Laymans Terms

In Laymans Terms

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the same problem except I am VERY limited to what I know about PC hardware/software issues, I mainly use my PC for work issues...

My PC won't RESTART, it logs out and says "Windows is shutting down" and it stays like that, it doesn't shut down and restart...

I've read the link you posted but it's Greek to me...

I am literally STUMPED about what to do... Please help me

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
@In Laymans Terms: Different machine can have same problem but for different reason, I would strongly suggest you to create your own topic and post your question there.

@UKCamaroSS: Do you happen to be using a Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 Joystick with a game port? If so, you can take a look at this Microsoft Article in regards to your BSOD error code.

I would suggest you to do a online scan too.

Please go HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the ActiveScan report

UKCamaroSS

UKCamaroSS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I would suggest you to do a online scan too.

Please go HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan

• Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the ActiveScan report

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and help me out with this!

I do not have Creative Labs Soundblaster, so have not followed the first link, however I have performed the Panda activescan. The activescan returned no threats:

No viruses or other malicious software have been found! Scan again
See report
Scan finished Stop
393562 Files scanned ...ocal Folders\Sent Items\Test 5Scan report Save report
Scan again
Send to laboratory
Save report
Scan again
ActiveScan only disinfects viruses. To disinfect all threats, buy or try a recommended security product. ActiveScan gives you a deep second opinion analysis of the security level of your PC. Detected Disinfected
Virus 0 0
Spyware 0 0
Hacking tools and rootkits 0 0
Dialers 0 0
Security Risks 0 0
Suspicious files 0 0

So hopefully this means my system is clean, if not working quite right. Any other suggetions on what I could do?

Thanks again,
UKCamaroSS

Houndf

Houndf

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have had problems shutting down or restarting before. and for me it is almost always related to explorer.exe trouble. if you will press Ctrl+Alt+Delete/open task manager click the shutdown option (at the top next to view and help) and either select turn off or restart. while waiting, perhaps you will get a message saying explorer.exe is unresponsive and end now or w/e the other choice is. end now, if your computer shuts off, turn it back on. your problem is explorer.exe