Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating a desktop win98SE by a laptop XP

• Please log in to reply

ageka

ageka

• Pip
  • 5 posts
To keep a long story short I have a desktop pentium USB1 with external ADSL modem and running on Win98SE because it would cost
2750$ to upgrade the graphics program and ISA card interface (used for stockmarket analyses ) and another 500$ to upgrade my photoscanner
My system is sitting in a workarea in the living room and I got nearly no spare room .

After many false ideas I seem to think now that my best bet is going with a laptop Toshiba P100-376 on XP pro cause I got all group licences for all office programs etc

I think that shoving the laptop in a replicator or full docking station is the first move giving me a wireless keyboard and mouse and access to the CRT monitor and I can plug the ADSL modem into this and make the laptop the primary computer .

First question ; is it correct I can put this aray closed on the floor under the rolling table and forget about it ?

Second question this laptop has all wifi and ethernet and bluetooth
how do I look at my old computer graphics program that updates automatically by ISA telvision teletext reading card ? Somebody suggested I might need Win Netmeeting
The old computer has no ethernet only USB 1 ; would I have to install an ethernet card and use a fixed cable (or WIFI) or would a USB link do to make it a slave ?

Third question ; is there any hope to operate the win98SE compatible only photoscanner attached to the old computer but operate it from the wireless keyboard and mouse on the new computer ( the scanner is on the same serial line as the printer which is USB compatible)
Or would it be better to have a dual win98 start up on the new computer or an emulation of win98SE on the new XP computer ?( which still not get around the serial cable I guess)

Surfing the web I found some docking stations having an ISA slot but I guess that info is 7 years out of date

To resume I need to keep an ISA card operational on Win 98SE
I need to keep win 98 SE simulated or booted operational to run an expensive graphics program and a serial scanner
I have no space to put a laptop unless closed

Many thanks for any suggestions whatsoever from an aged university engineer in chemistry

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need an ethernet card for the Win98SE machine if you want to control it or access it or anything plugged into it. USB will not do it. You'd also need a router.
Software like PC Anywhere you can use to control the Win98 machine as if you were sitting in front of it and you can do it on the laptop if you install PC Anywhere on the 98 machine. However the software is not cheap (its not *that* expensive either but it depends on your budgets) and alternatives may be available.

ageka

ageka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Neil

One thing is not clear
Somebody told me I needed the CRT monitor and a docking station or port replicator to see it from the laptop

Do I need the CRT monitor and buy a replicator or could I throw away the monitor and not buy the docking/replicator and do everything from the open laptop screen in your setup ?
That would solve my space problem too .

Many thanks for helping
If ever you need advise on shares I am on an american forum and have 2000 posts there ; same handle Ageka

http://www.capitalst...hp?showforum=11

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
For controlling a PC via PCAnywhere or similiar programs, you don't need a monitor on that computer. PC Anywhere has its own monitoring program and it shows you what's happening on the desktop of the computer you're controlling.

ageka

ageka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you

ageka

ageka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I got so far that my provider is selling me a supported ADSL/router wireles swithched combo (4 ports )

The new laptop will with WAP go wireless to the router

I was recommended to hardwire the old pentium 1600 with USB ports with a USB adapter and cat 5 cable cause it only takes WEP
but I have a free PCI slot ( for ethernet card ?) and as told the machine is win98SE and USB 1

If both hardwired solutions would work what would be fastest USB and adaptor or ethernet card ?

I also found real VNC for a 30 dollar license forever for access

http://www.realvnc.c...s/features.html

So apart from the last cable connection I am getting organised

Thank you

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
VNC can be aquired for free (100% free)...you don't really (IMO) get ANYTHING added by paying for it (i know it's only $30...but still)... didn't know that real even charged...google TightVNC....that one's 100% free

ageka

ageka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I know
an american forum programmor told me paying 30$ was more a kindness to the programmers then a necessity, but with the 30$ comes free 12 months update and help
And as a chemical engineer I allways shudder and shake when I change my computer set up

Poblem is that if I walk into any Belgian store they will sell me the USB adaptor or ethernet card
not in function of what I need but in function of what they have gathering dust
I know cause I have been taken to the cleaners once to often by a son of a friend