Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM issue :(

• Please log in to reply

Plies

Plies

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey, I have an extra pair of RAM lying around and was wondering if anybody could help me get it to work in my computer.

Currently, my system specs are as follows:

Dell Dimension 4600
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
512MB RAM (Currently)
Windows XP SP2 Home Edition

In my motherboard I have 4 RAM slots. Currently, I have all of them filled with a stick in it. (Four 128MB Sticks working as Dual-Channel).

I have two 256MB sticks that I'd like to swap with a pair of the 128MB sticks.
They fit in the slots, and they say "AVANT TECHNOLOGY 32x64 DDR333 CL2.5"
The 128 Sticks are 128MB each, DDR333, PC3200
Every time i put them in my computer reports to me I have 768MB RAM.
I also check my bios and it tells me I'm running in Dual-Channel (which is good)

But this is where the problem starts...
Eventually errors start popping up.. More and more as time goes by. Application Errors/Windows Errors/ect.
So I tried MEMTEST86+ and it gives me errors at 2 at a time constantly..

I was thinking it may be the RAM's timing, but there is no option whatsoever to even get close to seeing/changing the RAM timing's in my BIOS. (Dell A012)

Now what I dont get is why does this RAM work, but not work at the same time ? :whistling:
Any help with this issue or letting me know how to install this RAM properly is GREATLY appreciated. Money is tight right now so buying new RAM isnt really an option, which is why im working hard to get this RAM working.

Thanks in advance..
~ Dan

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There will be no options to alter memory timings on Dell machines. Dell don't like you doing that, in fact Dell don't like you doing a lot of things in the BIOS.

Best solution is to run the two 256Mb on their own through MemTest and see if they fall over then and see if they fall over in certain slots as this may be indicative of bad memory or a failing board. Also test the sticks each on their own and in each slot, see if a pattern emerges.