Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible CPU problem

• Please log in to reply

Supadad

Supadad

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok I took this computer my brother started on, it's a 478 socket running a P4 Prescott. Initially he told me he never got his video card to work with his motherboard. I moved his card to another motherboard and it worked fine. The card was not the problem, so I assumed it was a bad AGP slot. NOW I find out that he in fact used this video card in two separate motherboards (same type though) and still was getting nothing. I bought a Biostar P4M80-M4 board and now I'm not getting video either. The power works and I get power throughout the board, yet the CD ROm will not open when I hit the eject button. Can this mean that the Prescott was the problem all along?? This is 3 different boards with no video (both card and on board) BUT the one thing that has remained constant is the [bleep] CPU. I am assuming the fact that I see a light on the CD Writer means the power is on but the fact the door is not opening may mean that the CPU is bad, so the data needed to tell the door to open cannot be transmitted through the CPU. Is this a good assumption?

Advertisements

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
The CD-ROM should eject no matter what (unless it's broken or not plugged in.) If you unplug the grey IDE cable does it still not open?

If it doesn't do you have another you can test with. Right now I'm leaning towards a power supply issue. If the power supply isn't supplying enough power to open a CD-ROM drive, that would explain not getting any video.

Supadad

Supadad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I appreciate the help. I'll try replugging in the cables but this is strange that it's the third motherboard that has not been able to get video, but the CPU has been the same with all of them.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I think you may have a bad power supply. What brand and wattage is it? As long as your CD drive is getting power it should open up. The only time the CPU would tell the drive to eject is if you used an eject button from say Windows Media Player. Other than that it is all the drive and the power supplied to it. For now I would disconnect both the IDE cable and the power molex from it. Do you by chance have another PSU you can use to test your componants?