Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. I registered a long time ago, but I really don't know my way around this site.

I use Mozilla Firefox and it keeps shutting down with a message "firefox has encountered a problem and must shut down." When this happens, all of my windows are shut down immediately. This happens often.

Now, my entire computer shuts down and when it eventually starts back up there is a Microsoft message that says "your computer has suffered a serious error." I did some research and it appears to be called a blue screen error. I don't know why this occurs or what to do about it.

I am not great with computers so I am confused. I was going to uninstall and reinstall firefox, but I don't know how to do that. I looked into the control panel, under add/remove programs, and couldn't find it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by dbrodsky, 29 June 2007 - 09:36 PM.

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
In the control panel, it's under "Mozilla Firefox" just in case you forgot to look there :-)

If it's a blue screen error most of the time i got/get those is with bad memory/hardware

I'm not to clued up on this but i doubt it's Firefox unless you downloaded it from a bad source and it is using 100% CPU or something like that
Perhaps one of the more experienced users can help a bit more

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks. I checked add remove programs. I can't find it. I also wanted to uninstall and install new versions of spyware blaster and spybot and they are not listed either.

It appears many programs are not in my add/remove programs list. Any suggestions?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Maybe you can try go to the directory where the file is installed and look for an uninstall option

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the reply again. My internet connection, when using Mozilla Firefox, is still shutting down constantly.

A little backgroud. I downloaded Mozilla about 3 years ago and have had no problems. Just last month, I started getting the message, Mozilla has enountered an error and must close immediately.

I wanted to install a newer version of Firefox hoping that would solve the problem. I went to control panel, then add/remove programs and it is not listed.

I don't understand how to find which directory it is in.

Thanks for the help.

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I found the Mozilla uninstall.

Start>"C"> Program files>Mozilla>uninstall.

I don't know if this will solve my problem of Mozilla closing, but it is something to try.