Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uploading files without an FTP account

• Please log in to reply

coljung

coljung

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
hi there.

im currently working on a website which is to be hosted at 1and1 . I've done a few websites with 1and1 in the past and each one of them had an ftp account to upload the files. This one doesn't. I contacted them and they replied saying that i have to upgrade the package to be able to get an ftp account.

my question then is, can i upload files or build the webpage without an ftp account ? I've tried searching around and haven't found anything about it. I think i could, because whoever worked on the website before me, put some content online, so i guess it's possible. ( that person left the project and cannot be reached ).

thanks for any help.

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

hi there.

im currently working on a website which is to be hosted at 1and1 . I've done a few websites with 1and1 in the past and each one of them had an ftp account to upload the files. This one doesn't. I contacted them and they replied saying that i have to upgrade the package to be able to get an ftp account.

my question then is, can i upload files or build the webpage without an ftp account ? I've tried searching around and haven't found anything about it. I think i could, because whoever worked on the website before me, put some content online, so i guess it's possible. ( that person left the project and cannot be reached ).

thanks for any help.

The answer to this question is Yes, and No, as far as I know.

Yes, you could build the website on a server, which is connected to the inernet and then just drop the files in the home directory of the webserver. This would work if you were hosting the site on a server.

Yes, you could build the website on your machine and test it and make sure that all the links, images and other files are there, and if that is the case and the site works, then you could upload the site.

Now for the NO (:whistling:) part of the response:

The problem here is that you do not have a way to upload the site UNLESS you have an FTP account or a way to upload your content via email. Nowadays, it is almost essential to have either FTP or SFTP available to upload/maintain files on the hosts servers, and I have never seen a site that does NOT allow FTP or SFTP access. Uploading files via email may be possible, but is impractical because if you have a large amount of files to upload, quota limits on email atatchments may get in the way. I would contact the Host, and ask them how you upload without FTP - maybe they have a special way to do this. There has to be some vehicle for maintaining the site in question, or you would not be able to maintain it. :blink:

If they do not - would recommend that you upgrade the package so that you have FTP access. SFTP (Secure FTP) access may not be available however, FTP should be available. I know of no other way to upload files to a server without FTP or email access. Most Hosts give you FTP access for home use or business use for the cost of the (Hosting) plan you are using - If they don't offer a free way to get FTP, they must be well, different, because as previously stated FTP usually comes with a service package.

Good Luck - Hope this info is helpful to you!

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 30 June 2007 - 12:04 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you checked to see if you have a login access to the account where you should find a File Manager and other tools to use to get your pages edited either directly or uploaded from your PC? Just about every hosting service I know provide all necessary tools to get your site up and running. Including templates, logo maker, upload function, HTML Editor (basic or advanced), etc..

If you decide to work on your pages on your PC, then without a way to upload multiple files at a time and the ease of use for connecting to service to manipulate files using an app like SmartFTP, you will be limited to however many files the hosting service allows to be uploaded at one time. Some have a limit like five max at one time, some more, some less.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 30 June 2007 - 12:33 PM.

coljung

coljung

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks for the info.

I asked my friend about it and she told me that:

Whoever ran the website before did it from his computer ( i guess something like IIs server , i'm not sure ) and that the account has never had ftp access.

Now, to run it from my Pc, wouldn't i need FTP access too ?

In any case, i'll just tell my friend to upgrade the package anyways, it's so much trouble when i could just setup an ftp connection in a matter of minutes.

Thanks anyways.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Thanks for the info.

I asked my friend about it and she told me that:

Whoever ran the website before did it from his computer ( i guess something like IIs server , i'm not sure ) and that the account has never had ftp access.

Now, to run it from my Pc, wouldn't i need FTP access too ?

In any case, i'll just tell my friend to upgrade the package anyways, it's so much trouble when i could just setup an ftp connection in a matter of minutes.

Thanks anyways.

Your welcome coljung, glad I could help you :whistling:

Brian