Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adventures in Bachelorhood

• Please log in to reply

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
The adventures continue.........

Yesterday, I went to my workouts, and did my normal routine, and everything was fine.

However, I went to the mall yesterday afternoon, and when I returned I thought that my friend had used my stove or oven. I smelled something cooking, but the funny thing is that there was nothing cooking - The oven had been shut off since the night before, and I also checked the burners, and the controls were all in the OFF position. The strange thing was that the burners were all HOT to the touch!!

So, knowing that there was something amiss, and knowing that the stove is new, I called BHA - one of our people responded and sure enough, he tested all controls and found it HOT on the top as I did - He agreed that there was something wrong, and shut the stove's breaker off - I now have to wait for BHA to return sometime this weekend to diagnose the problem.

This is the first time something like this has happened, so naturally, I was a little shocked - brand new stoves don't normally get HOT when off, so there could be a defect, which I hope that they will be able to solve - I love the stove, but being without one can be inconvenient and irritating.....I wish BHA had checked this stuff out before putting it in.........If no one had been home, I could have a burnt up new home, and that would have sucked......I'm just glad that I had someone here to actually help me......The breakers are supposed to trip, but hadn't when we detected a problem.......whch is strange.

I'm just glad that we were able to shut off the breaker and that nothing was damaged and no one was hurt........geez, what a way to start the weekend.....no stove ;(

Brian

EDIT: I just got a call from BHA - They will be contacting Sears on Monday and having them check out this stove - In the meantime, I am to keep the breaker off UNLESS cooking something on the stove or in the oven - then kill the stove at the breaker - lets hope that they can determine the problem, as the stove is only 4 months old :omg: ~Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 01 July 2007 - 04:22 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maybe the knobs got put on wrong....like...the post behind the knob was turned to all the way hot...but the knob was put on in such a way where it looks like it's in the off position?

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

maybe the knobs got put on wrong....like...the post behind the knob was turned to all the way hot...but the knob was put on in such a way where it looks like it's in the off position?

Dsenette:

I thought of that idea, but when I asked the BHA Maintainence man if there was a possibility that there was a knob somehow backwards, and he didn't think so - and I did check the knobs - they only fit on the post one way, and if all controls are at center (off) the knob fits on the post - if not, they don't fit - which means that you would have to return the knob to center and the lock would engage, and then you could put the knobs on. He actually depressed the knobs, spun them all the way around and they returned to center and locked, and when they are at OFF, you can't simply turn the knobs without being able to depress them, then they can turn - its supposed to be a safety thing, but this stove must have a computer malfunction or a electrical problem, or a wiring problem.........that is why its off at the breaker :help: :whistling: ....because I don't wanna be a FRIED GeekU Trainee heheehee :blink:

Brian

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

The breakers are supposed to trip, but hadn't when we detected a problem.......whch is strange

The breaker will trip if it there is a short circuit or if there is a draw of current over what the breaker is rated for, if the cooktop is on the breaker doesn't know if you are cooking all day or not.

curious to know what the issue is/was
Please let us know Brian also let us know how the take out is :whistling:

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

brand new stives don't normally get HOT

Nice stive you have. Not sure what your problem is, maybe the knobs are messed up (not installed properly, so when it says "Off" it's actually at "MAX") :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I came home to a hot stove once. I just forgot to turn the stove off. I claim to be a absent minded geek so much information the important stuff is leaking out. I hope my electric bill is not too high this month.

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

brand new stives don't normally get HOT

Nice stive you have. Not sure what your problem is, maybe the knobs are messed up (not installed properly, so when it says "Off" it's actually at "MAX") :blink:

hehehehe was supposed to be a "STOVE" but, I misspelled it hhehehehe. BHA tells me that Sears will check this stove tomorrow - meanwhile I will breaker it on and off until given the all clear :whistling:

Brian

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I wish i could get into my breaker it is painted shut. I really need to get in touch with maintenance and have them fix that. It would be a lot easyer if I could just email them.

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I came home to a hot stove once. I just forgot to turn the stove off. I claim to be a absent minded geek so much information the important stuff is leaking out. I hope my electric bill is not too high this month.

Tuxmaster:

I rememebr one night when I used the oven in my old digs, and what I used to do was to leave my cooking (sheet) pans on the stove for them to cool off when they were hot. I also left a plastic spatula on the pan, and the next morning, I went somewhere and returned home. I decided to preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and the oven had pushbutton controls, and I must have leaned over too far and bumped something, because the front burner was also turned on at the same time (without my knowledge) all the way to HIGH, and a couple minutes later, we smell something BURNING - The sheet pan and spatuala I had left on the stove were heating up and smoking because the burners under it were HOT, and if we didnt act fast, it would have started a FIRE - we grabbed the offending pan and out the back door it went, and we left it in the rain on the back deck - it stunk in here for a few hours, but I NEVER leave anything on the stovetop anymore because of the lesson I learned that day :whistling:

So, you can bet that when I use the stove that nothing sets on the stove top unless something is cooking - With a brand new stove, it is a little annoying to have a defect like this, because if I didn't have my friend here to check that, it would have remained ON if I couldn't smell it because of a cold or something else.

The lesson here is: make sure your stove controls are off, and don't set things on the stovetop :help: - you may be SORRY if you forget :blink: :help:

Brian

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ahh but as a newly made live alone bachelor I have to make some absent minded mistakes.

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Ahh but as a newly made live alone bachelor I have to make some absent minded mistakes.

Ahhhhhh.......all bachelors make mistakes: been living on my own for 12 years, so I have made plenty in my time :whistling:

wish i could get into my breaker it is painted shut. I really need to get in touch with maintenance and have them fix that. It would be a lot easyer if I could just email them.

Yes, you really should get in touch with them, because breaker boxes should NOT be painted shut! I could email BHA, but the system we have requires a work order be placed in the system so that it can be tracked - that way, if someone puts in an order, and it does NOT get completed, and they have record of it, and can hold someone accountable if it is NOT completed.

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 01 July 2007 - 06:31 AM.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

newly made live alone bachelor

:whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ya just this year I got my first aparment living alone.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Ya just this year I got my first apartment living alone.

Congratulations :whistling: The way you said that the first time I wasn't sure it was good.

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Well, just wanted to give you all an update on my stove situation.

I thought that BHA and sears would be coming up to look at my stove sometime during the late morning or early afternoon hours on Monday this week. Turns out that they didn't and I had to go to the store to get more food, When I returned there was NO INDICATION :blink: that anyone had been here all day, and I finally called BHA at 4PM EDT, and Maintainence Director Don says he "forgot all about it, and he would come right up"

When he arrives, he activates the breaker which had been off since Saturday, when I had to use the oven, and then shut it off. He tested all controls, the burners, the oven and then stated that there was no problem that he could detect, and told me to leave the breaker in the ON position, and monitor the situation. I asked if my shutting off the breaker might have cured the problem and he said that it might have, but I will shut off the breaker today because I am leaving in a while, and don't want a problem - They said that it could have been a problem with the electronic control panel, so they will keep an eye on it :whistling:

Brian