Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FAQ

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Wrecklesskane,

I assume you mean your Malware topic with Jimmy2012? I re-opened it and sent Jimmy a message that I had done so. If this happens in any topic you're working on with a staff member, you can simply send them a PM asking for it to be opened. :)

sari

Advertisements

Egyptian Mum

Egyptian Mum

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
In the name of God
Peace on you all,
What is the maximum post length?

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I don't know to be exact.. But I do know that the only time you would have a problem with post length, is if you are posting a looong log.

I found an example for you as well HERE. Post #27 gets cut off because of being too long. I didn't count the lines or characters, but you shouldn't have problems posting. If it gets cut off, just post the remainder in the next post(s).

Egyptian Mum

Egyptian Mum

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
In the name of God
Peace on you piano9playa5,
Thank you for your reply. Infact I asked this question a few minutes after struggling to post a very looong post and every time it took so long just to paste the log into my reply and when I tried to post it I got an error that it was too long and that it could not be posted. After failing to find info about maximum post lenth I decided to split my log into 4 parts and post it. Then I came here and asked the question for future reference.
I was also impressed that you went throught the trouble to refer me to an example, but guess who's post it was? yes, mine. I laughed too when I saw it. :) No, I really appreciate your effort.
If any of you could find out the length restriction and add it to "Malware Removal Guide" and in other topics you see appropriate", I think it would help your already confused users especially those panic struck by evil infections. :)
Thanks a lot.

Edited by Egyptian Mum, 29 March 2009 - 06:51 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
There should really be no issue with posting the logs in the Malware Forum, they should fit perfectly 99% of the time.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

It only seems to be certain people. I'm an admin and I can't change mine. The top admin is currently away, so I imagine it's still a low-priority fix.

I've been thinking about that, and wasn't there an optional section of the sign-up form for a personal statement? It would make sense, because all us old folks can't change ours, but the new people all have statements...

Just out of curiosity, who is the top admin? I thought admin was the top admin... :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
admin is the top admin. On the registration page you can enter your OS and your system specs, but not your personal statement. Since **Brian** was able to edit his, I still say it's a glitch in the software. Perhaps at one point people could successfully add them, so they're still able to edit them?

Ingwaz

Ingwaz

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
As a student of GeekU, I know that I am not to work on any hjt logs because i know just enough to be dangerous and that's about it.

However while this is my own personal computer my family's computer has had some problems with viruses in the past and occasionally it still acts a little buggy. So, am I allowed to post their hjt log to have it checked out or is that against the rules?

Looking back I imagine i probably should have posted this in the GeekU section instead of on the FAQ............please don't smack me :) :)

Edited by Ingwaz, 31 March 2009 - 07:08 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes you can post a HJT log to get the PC fixed in the Malware Removal forum

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
*Troy *smacks* Ingwaz...

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
*piano9playa5 watches approvingly. :)

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
In re: "personal statements" in profile...

It only seems to be certain people. I'm an admin and I can't change mine. The top admin is currently away, so I imagine it's still a low-priority fix.

I just discovered something and thought I'd pass it on. Perhaps it will help some people get their personal statement up if they want to. Today, I clicked on the "settings" tab in my personal profile view and entered a "personal statement" from there. After I hit the "save settings" button, my "personal statement" appeared just fine.

Previously, I had been trying to work the "personal statement" function from my control panel with the "edit personal portal information" link on the left-hand side. I tried it again today, and that one still does not work. But the one from the profile page does.

Maybe it'll work for others having "personal statement" issues too?

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Just to let people know if they see this the above way of editing your personal statement works like a charm :)

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
My original post was 7/18/09. I misunderstood the Waiting Room instructions and reposted the same message (different title) apparently as a new post on 7/21/09. I then read the Waiting Room instructions more carefully and posted my original topic to the Waiting Room on 7/23/09. My original post has 47 views. My repost has 60 views. My Waiting Room post has 7 views. All with no replies. If my problem has no solution is there eventually a reply or e-mail to that effect? Is there a period of time without a reply where I should post the problem again or just give up?

jcastaldi

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Jcastaldi,

There are times when we are unable to solve an issue, and if it's posted in the Waiting Room it will eventually be closed with a message to that effect. However, let me direct our tech staff to your topic and see if one of them is able to help. I'm also going to close your duplicate topic so as to avoid confusion.