Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Music download stores & apps

• Please log in to reply

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I would like opinions and suggestions on which apps and paid music download stores are the most reputable, safe, trustworthy, and problem-free. I would also like to know which ones to avoid and why. I have used Real Music Store (uses RealPlayer) and WalMart (uses WMP) in the past, but they are not ideal and I'd like to try others. I am only interested in legal, paid music stores that offer quality downloads without audio glitches. I do not want a subscription, but only want to pay-per-song. I want to avoid any store that places unreasonable restrictions on purchased music to the point that the customer can do nothing with it. Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and it would also be really helpful if you'd explain why you like or dislike a particular service (pros and cons), and which app the store requires. Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
I suggest iTunes. You can also purchase DRM free music from iTunes.

But, then you could also use what they have here for regular iTunes music.
http://www.hymn-project.org/

Before using any of the software on this web site, you should be aware of the legal standing of DRM circumvention technology in your own country and make your own decision whether using Hymn Project software is right for you.

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem with itunes is that entirely different music software is involved, which is exclusive to itunes. It has been bad enough having music libraries in 2 different apps and music files that are not compatible with both. Creating a CD with combos of these different music files is not very workable. Burning to CD then adding those songs back into the other app in order to create a CD containing the music you want degrades the audio quality of the transferred music. Now add a 3rd type of music software to the mix? It's enough to drive a person crazy. If I just converted entirely to itunes, that would work for all future music, but I have lots of music that will never be compatible that I really don't want to keep separate. At this point, it would be really nice to have just one app/player that is universal. I guess I'm dreaming. I think WMP is probably the most universal at this point, but it's far from perfect. Sometimes I think I should just give up on downloading music. Is it worth it? I've had some problems with purchased music not being accessible due to glitches in the software or some other problem (not caused by the customer). I don't appreciate paying for something I don't get.