Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP, CANNOT Load Past Bios (missing l_intl.nls)

• Please log in to reply

Houndf

Houndf

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. Yesterday some member of my house was flipping the big switches (fuses???) that turn power on and off in different parts of the house. constently doing my room as well, would shut off my computer, it turns on, and shuts off again (cause they cut power on and off in my room). so i turn off my APC SurgeArest to prevent any damage, but to no avail.

When I start my computer, Bios loads, and gets to a screen saying something like "Your computer was improperly shut down, blah blah blah..." And suggests that if it was to the cause of one of the situations, do this (safe mode, last know configurations that worked, start windows normally.)

i have tried all. as soon as i select it, it freezes for afew. then tells me that "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupted: \WINDOWS\system32\l_intl.nls"
"You can attempt to repair this file [repair console]..."

so i F12 at beginning, load from disk (windows xp media edition [which is DVD]) and when it stops at front screen i hit "R", do junk (like admin password, os selecter," and it leaves me at "C:\WINDOWS\system32\>"

from there i do chkdsk /r and still no luck...
i go to repair console again, try FIXMBR and FIXBOOT,
still no luck...

i also deleted the file l_intl.nls and tried to copy it over but it said access denied... so redid chkdsk /r fixmbr fixboot..

so i am guessing that the only way to fix this (hoping it works) is to reinstall a fresh copy of windows xp media center edition..

Your suggestions, comment, philosophies are quite welcome (and desired)... if you can tell me anything that might work, please...

Thanks in Advance

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems that other people solved the problem in a number of different ways. Try this one, it's a quote from annoyances.com:

"Ok here is what I have done to correct the problem.. Boot in Recovery Console providing the admin password if there is one Go to your c:windows\system32 folder (if you have windows xp) by typing "cd c:windows\system32 " You should now see c:\windows\system32 at the command prompt. Delete the l_intl.nls if it is there (type "del l_intl.nls") Now type "copy e:\i386\l_intl.nl_" and it will copy the one from the cd to your C: drive at the correct location (providing you were at the c:\windows\system32 prompt.) Noticed that the file name is slighly different from the CD where it ends by a underscore (_). You then need to rename the file back to the original which is l_intl.nls by typing "ren l_intl.nl_ l_intl.nls" (there is a space after l_intl.nl_) You might then go trough a chkdsk automatically and then it will say "correcting error in index $I30 and so on" followed by "Recovering orphaned files..". You might need to join back the Domain if you were in one. P.S I used E: as my cd drive, yours might be different. "

Houndf

Houndf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yea, but whats funny it seems like there is only one way per person in the world. i deleted the file, tried to copy the l_intl.nl_ but said the file didnt exist. then when i tried to copy l_intl.nls it said "Access Denied". so i ran chkdsk /r again hoping it would find that file missing or something and replace it. but to no luck. so it didnt work :whistling: it almost sounds like this is one of those problems where you flip a coin and call and get it or dont. ill reinstall xp this afternoon if i cant find a solution. i've just posted on forums about this hoping maybe some1 had same problem and knows exactly how to fix it or is just a genius on this stuff. thanks for the help though :blink:

Thaqalain

Thaqalain

• Pip
  • 1 posts

It seems that other people solved the problem in a number of different ways. Try this one, it's a quote from annoyances.com:

"Ok here is what I have done to correct the problem.. Boot in Recovery Console providing the admin password if there is one Go to your c:windows\system32 folder (if you have windows xp) by typing "cd c:windows\system32 " You should now see c:\windows\system32 at the command prompt. Delete the l_intl.nls if it is there (type "del l_intl.nls") Now type "copy e:\i386\l_intl.nl_" and it will copy the one from the cd to your C: drive at the correct location (providing you were at the c:\windows\system32 prompt.) Noticed that the file name is slighly different from the CD where it ends by a underscore (_). You then need to rename the file back to the original which is l_intl.nls by typing "ren l_intl.nl_ l_intl.nls" (there is a space after l_intl.nl_) You might then go trough a chkdsk automatically and then it will say "correcting error in index $I30 and so on" followed by "Recovering orphaned files..". You might need to join back the Domain if you were in one. P.S I used E: as my cd drive, yours might be different. "

Great advice, so easy , now I am surfing net.