Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt and missing images in IE, Firefox and throughout the OS

• Please log in to reply

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have already "solved" this issue by doing a parallel install of XP (Not a repair install,) but I'm curious as to if anybody else has seen anything like it before.

Here is some background info:

A customer brought his XP Home laptop in due to some issues with windows update and a shutdown problem. Got those all fixed up when I remembered he had also mentioned an issue with clearing his cache in IE. I went to open IE and was slightly surprised; Images and page backgrounds were either missing or corrupt. I thought that is must have been an IE issue so I installed Firefox, same thing. Here's an image of Firefox attempting to display microsoft.com:

Posted Image

Then I noticed that parts of XP had the same issue:

Posted Image

So I took some steps to troubleshoot:

1) Re-registered any related dlls I could think of
2) Checked to make sure it wasn't a graphics problem, it wasn't
3) Attempted to run sfc /scannow but it closed immediately
4) Did a repair install of XP (This solved the sfc issue, but not the web issue)
5) Ran sfc /scannow just for the heck of it with no luck

I'm pretty sure I did a few other things as well that I can't think of at the moment. If anybody has any ideas as to what caused this I'm sure it will help other people who may experience the same thing without forcing them to do the dreaded reinstall.

Edited by ClickRight, 30 June 2007 - 02:35 PM.

Advertisements

dervish777

dervish777

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey
I am in the same situation as you
Web browsers dont show colors and I have tried everything
Please!!! help !!!
People
It s like watching black and white tv or worse
Sometimes you cant even make an action because you dont see it