Here is some background info:
A customer brought his XP Home laptop in due to some issues with windows update and a shutdown problem. Got those all fixed up when I remembered he had also mentioned an issue with clearing his cache in IE. I went to open IE and was slightly surprised; Images and page backgrounds were either missing or corrupt. I thought that is must have been an IE issue so I installed Firefox, same thing. Here's an image of Firefox attempting to display microsoft.com:
Then I noticed that parts of XP had the same issue:
So I took some steps to troubleshoot:
1) Re-registered any related dlls I could think of
2) Checked to make sure it wasn't a graphics problem, it wasn't
3) Attempted to run sfc /scannow but it closed immediately
4) Did a repair install of XP (This solved the sfc issue, but not the web issue)
5) Ran sfc /scannow just for the heck of it with no luck
I'm pretty sure I did a few other things as well that I can't think of at the moment. If anybody has any ideas as to what caused this I'm sure it will help other people who may experience the same thing without forcing them to do the dreaded reinstall.
Edited by ClickRight, 30 June 2007 - 02:35 PM.