Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VIA USB 2.0 PCI card not working

• Please log in to reply

landa321

landa321

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I've had this VIA USB 2.0 PCI card for over a year and I have never been able to get it to work. I just bought an external HD, so I need to figure this out.
It shows up in device manager. it says the device is working properly.

When I install anything on it, the PC freezes up. I've tried to connect s Sandisk mp3 player. It recognizes the player, but not the songs that are on it. I tried connecting a TV tuner to it. Won't recognize it. I tried connecting the external HD. the first time I connected the HD, it said New Hardware found - Maxtor 3200. Couldn't get past that and now it just says "unknown device."

USB:
VIA model no. VTS 2259A1
chip: VT6214L
driver installed: 5.1.2600.2180

PC: Pentium 4 - 2.40Ghz
1.5 GB of RAM
Motherboard -Gigabyte model no. GA-8IPE1000-6 Rev.4.0

thanks in advance.

Edited by landa321, 30 June 2007 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Put it in a different PCI slot first, just out of interest and see what happens on another computer.

Failing that, if its never worked since you had it you really should have sent it back and had it replaced. Too late now but you shouldn't have to accept a duff piece of hardware like that. A new card may be in order if it does the same things on another computer.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I wonder what you need the card for. Your computer is quite a modern one and is supporting USB 2.0. If you have windows XP -SP1 installed, or a newer version, then you should have USB 2.0 running on your computer. To make sure go to device manager in Control panel > system > hardware. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. In the list that shows up you should have at least one device which is "enhanced". This shows that you have usb 2.0 installed. If you don't, enter BIOS and enable USB 2.0.