Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Laptop Wont Start

• Please log in to reply

americanfire

americanfire

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I recently started experiencing problems with my Dell Inspiron 5100. It started by freezing and these lines about a quarter inch thick appeared vertically. The computer wouldn't allow me to anything but to shut it off by holding the power button. After that i tried to turn the computer but the startup screen never showed but the computer startup sounded regular. Also the screen stayed black throughout the start up and the caps lock icon flashed. After this the computer shuts down but it seems that the fans are still running for another sec or two. Also i took out the battery and hard drive to clean the dust off it, and the computer worked, but after an houtr it makes a sound like a CD skipping and the lines appear and I have to restart it manually again.

I surfed the web for an answer but i coudn't find anything, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
How old is that laptop? I've been looking around and found this:

"“We will replace any LCD that develops a vertical line associated with this specific issue within three years of purchase, at no charge for parts and labor."

I realize your model is not listed here:

http://laptoping.com...line-issue.html

I also found a couple of huge threads about problems with your model:

http://www.dellcommu...ssage.id=139712

http://www.dellcommu...s...ding&page=1

That vertical line thing, has a terminal ring to it. I'll keep looking....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
"A thick line, or a large black (dead) bar all the way across or up and down the screen usually indicates that the ribbon connector is partially worked of the LCD panel or the mainboard. This happens frequently on some laptop lemons where the connector was poorly designed and the cable is too short, so any vibrations or flexing of the case tend to work it loose. If it's not a loose connection, it's likely that the contacts on the display edge have separated, which means replacing the whole LCD unit."

"Thin lines or tiny spots? Assuming somebody didn't draw perfectly straight lines on your screen with a very thin magic marker or apply dots with the same, these are symptoms of physical LCD failure"

If your lines fall into the thicker category, the ribbon cable may be loose. But you'll have to take it apart and look. I'll look for a manual for your model, if you want to give it a try...

americanfire

americanfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I looked at the links you have put there and i will try and get technical assisstance from Dell, and if my computer is still under warranty. My computer is 3 years old.

Thanks for the info.