Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP WITH WORD 2003

• Please log in to reply

tcwoody955

tcwoody955

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help me solve a problem. I work in Word 2003. For some unexplained reason, my control functions (CTRL A, CTRL C, CTRL V and most of all CTRL have ceased working. I have replaced my normal.dot and this was no help. CTRL P works fine when I try printing from IE6. Any suggestions???? I have tried searching the internet and to no avail. Thanks for your input!!

Sue

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Sue. Welcome to Geeks to Go!!

You said you'd already replaced the normal.dot. Did you move it out of its normal folder (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates) and allow Word to recreate it? If not, what did you do?

Let's try to determine if it's a Word issue, a keyboard issue, or something else.

1. Is the keyboard you're using USB or PS/2? If USB, try using a PS/2, and vice versa. Remember, PS/2 keyboards can't be plugged/unplugged/replugged while Windows is up and running. You must power down the system before changing out a PS/2 keyboard. USB keyboards CAN be "hot-swapped". Did this make any difference? If so, it's the keyboard.

2. If #1 didn't help, try a Detect/Repair on Word. You will need the installation disk for this. Open Word, click Help, Detect/Repair. I don't think it makes any difference to our purposes which of the two options you choose on the Detect/Repair screen. Did this help?

3. If still no joy, log into Windows with a different User Account. Do you see the Windows Welcome Screen? If so, choose one of the other User accounts. If not, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the classic Windows Log-in screen. Here you can type in "Administrator" as the user (this is the default Administrator account that Windows adds during the initial installation/setup). Unless you recall what you may have entered for its password, it may be blank. If you don't see the Welcome Screen, you can boot into Safe Mode. While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.). This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter. Open Word and test the Ctrl key shortcuts. Did this affect the problem?

Did any of these halp? If so, which? If not, we'll have to look into this some more.

tcwoody955

tcwoody955

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Linda, Thanks for your input! I had tried reinstalling Word etc. I did log onto Windows with a diffent account and suprisingly Word functions worked there. Hmmm. Now how do we figure out what the problem with my Word?

Thanks for all of your help.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It sounds like something in your Windows User Profile has gotten damaged/corrupted. The solution is to create a new user profile and copy everything from the old one to the new one.

To create a new user account:
  • Go to Control Panel.
  • Click User Accounts tool.
  • Select the Create A New Account link.
  • Give the account a name and click Next.
NOTE: Ensure that the account type is Computer Administrator (You can see the option button displayed in the process.)
  • Click Create Account button.
  • Reboot the computer. Log in with the new user account. This will create the user folder under Docs & Settings.
  • Reboot the computer and log in with an administrative user account that is neither the new or the old. You can press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the Welcome Screen to open the classic log-in shell. Type in Administrator as the user. This is the default Administrator user account that is created when Windows is installed. The password may be blank.
  • As a back-up, copy the the entire user folder for the old user account under Documents and Settings to the desktop.
  • Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
  • Select the Advanced tab.
  • Click the Settings button in the User Profiles section.
  • Select the user account that was corrupted.
  • Click the Copy To button.
  • Click the Browse button and then browse to Documents and Settings, and select the new account.
If you do this part wrong and copy the profile from the new account to the old account, you will delete all the settings and everything out of the My Documents folder for the old account.

Manually copying profile: http://support.micro....com/kb/811151/

Once you confirm that you have all the documents, files, etc, in the new profile as you had in the old profile, you can delete the old profile and the backup you may have made, to free up hard drive space.