Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow computer at large

• Please log in to reply

astro2

astro2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
as the title says slow computer, but no its not a virus or malware etc etc ( i think )

look here is the deal, my comp suddenly for no reason when i watched a avi file it clunked out on me.

THEN from then on every media file i watch it is slow and static like.

Severe symptoms sometimes is that the WHOLE computer slows down and the click sound when you open up a program is replaced with a static click (super slow) even opening up 'internet explorer' when this symptom happens is slow

i scanned the computer for viruses, adware/spyware, gone to safe mode to scan, scan registry etc etc.........no dice

then i thought i found the problem for some reason when everything is fine when i watch a movie on my 2nd hdd the symptoms kicks in, then watch it on my first harddrive its ok

so i thought beginning of hdd failure for my 2nd hdd, so i copy the same file over to my main hdd (C drive) then suddenly everything went slow SEVERE SYMPTOM so that threw my theory out of the window.......OR DID IT

cause after another registry scan, restarted the computer..........this time i did the same thing.........What the...? the movie plays in (C drive) but doesn't on my 2nd hdd

OH BTW when i watch it on my 2nd my cpu usage is VERY HIGH, but ok on my (C drive)

need help !!!

spec is

winxp pro AMD 3700xp 1gb ram 9600XT AT graphix card etc etc

Advertisements

astro2

astro2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
update when using norton utilities to scan the hdd i.e doing a discdoctor check up

first 3 scanned ok i think

but then the last 'verifying file data' froze for ages, i think over an hour later it moves to one percent

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Usually i send people over to the malware thread with slow performance issues but yours may be hardware related.

Go ahead and download HDTune in my signature and give it a run.
Report back any if it gets any errors and temperatures.

astro2

astro2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
HD Tune - diagnosis

transfer rate

2.3 mb/sec min
2.7 mb/sec max
2.7mb/sec avg

13.8ms access time

2.8/mb sec burst rate

cpu usage 98.2 percent

full error scan

time 708.20 (STILL SCANNING)
scanning speed 2.6mb/sec

74gb left

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
The transfer rate and speed could have many types of variables.

Go ahead and post back when it is done scanning.

astro2

astro2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hey again, the

FULL ERROR SCAN is fully completed now

damged blocks 0.0%

scanning speed 2.6mb/sec

position 190705mb

time : 1250:48

sk8ingchocobo

sk8ingchocobo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've got this exact same problem I was wondering if it could be a soundcard driver causing the problem is there any way of testing and maybe correcting this ? I have the same problem when I try to play things in Itunes or Realplayer so its clearly not the player.

astro2

astro2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i'm not super smart in computer stuff, but i though i'd be more of a memory of video card thing, although i used "check it diagnosis" by norton utilities and they are fine apparently

as for sound card, well how can that be, most computers these days have built in soundcard stuff on the motherboard how can that die so easily, and why would sound cause it to use so much power of the cpu and give virus symtoms?

sk8ingchocobo

sk8ingchocobo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was guessing sound card driver because my sound seems to work fine when its the only thing running. Therefore the sound card is clearly capable of working still so it is something internal. Most of my computers functions are unaffected other than the ones requiring sound though. This is until I open something that is using sound too when the whole thing runs at 2mph. This for me isolated sound as the main problem rather than video because mine skips on just MP3's let alone full blown videos. So the sound card driver was the 1st thing to look at for me but unfortunately I don't know how to test/repair this. Like you though I'm no expert.

astro2

astro2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
your symptoms aren't like mine then cause mine takes affect when i handle my 2nd hdd, and its like proding a pimple cause the symptom can get so aggressive it affects the ENTIRE computer.

when the severe symptom doesn't kick in i noticed it usually slows down if i open anything in my 2nd hdd like mp3s, and videos

although something small it may not kick in, possibly cause the file is too small........for example i have a flv file on the affected hdd (file type youtube uses for its videos) this is probably cause the file is so small it use barely any cpu

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We now need to make certain that this issue is not malware because if we troubleshoot otherwise we may be wasting our time.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

astro2

astro2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i only have heard of Hijack for 2-3 days now because of my little problem in my harddrive so using it to create a log then posting it in a specific forum sounds annoying.

for now i just went into microsoft.com and d/l a malicious program detector and scanning my hdd so hopefully if its a so called malware it will detect it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

i only have heard of Hijack for 2-3 days now because of my little problem in my harddrive so using it to create a log then posting it in a specific forum sounds annoying.

for now i just went into microsoft.com and d/l a malicious program detector and scanning my hdd so hopefully if its a so called malware it will detect it.

beside the fact that that program only finds about 50 % of whats out there...that microsoft malicious removal program "broke" my nero burning software for me...several times..I will never use it again

follow tuxmaster's advice

using it to create a log then posting it in a specific forum sounds annoying.

you have several options ,,,be annoyed and post OR don't and live with the problem

Edited by happyrck, 05 July 2007 - 06:45 AM.

astro2

astro2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
nevermind buddy, as a person who knows ABSOLUTELY jack all about computers.....well thats not fully true, but lets just say i'm not super smart compared to the super geniuses in here

yet i fixed it ALL BY MYSELF

i traced the problems to a faulty 'harddrive bay' because i have a harddrive bay allowing me to remove my internal hdd without taking my desktop sides covers off

i figured out two things using my COMMON brain

the remaining possiblity apart from malware, virus, trojans, are either the harddrive is getting hot and is making it use full cpu power or something is not feeding my hdd enough power.

FIXED BY MYSELF SO THERE PEEPS :whistling:

all i needed was to put it into something else.........irony i just happen to have a aluminum case that convers interal hdd to externall hdd usb2.0 around..........cya peeps i'm happy as