Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive Problem in WinXP SP2

• Please log in to reply

mojfar

mojfar

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, Win XP (with SP2) doesn't autoplay CDs and even doesn't update CD icon in My Computer when i insert a CD (but it can read them). in other user accounts (except adm.) I cannot even read any CD!
When I first installed the Win XP, everything was OK, but I installed some programs and disable some services and now this problem has occurred. please help me!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This free tool can help diagnose and repair autorun problems in XP. It is a tiny download and doesn't require installation. Simply double-click the exe file, click a few buttons (OK, some options are a little cryptic) and you can change or repair your Windows XP autorun options.

http://download.micr...240/AutoFix.exe

mojfar

mojfar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you Keith!
I tried th program but it couldn't detect the problem saying: Device is malfunctioning (which I certainly now neither of my two CD drives are) or the wizard cannot detect the problem

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you know the make and model of the CD Drives, look for firmware updates, though these must be exact as firmware updates are usually irreversible

If you are unsure, please post back before installing anything

mojfar

mojfar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
At last I found the cause of the problem!

I had given other user accounts the abilty to burn CDs at first with IsoBuster 1.9 and later manually by using policies (Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options > Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only -> Enabled). That was the cause! changed it back to disabled and the problem was solved.

Then I installed Nero and used its BurnRights. Now even IsoBuster can be used in all accounts and autoplay works correctly.

Is this a Microsoft bug and has Nero changed a driver?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nero has regular upgrades

Thanks for the update

mojfar

mojfar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think you misunderstood the last line (or maybe I had written it badly)

I meant that maybe the problem was because of an erratic Microsoft driver and maybe Nero during its installation, has replaced that erratic driver with its own driver

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nero has more or less monthly updates so the drivers could change if they get reports of a bug