Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Check my build, add case

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi, I was back here at the start of the year asking alotta questions, and you guys helped alot. And just when I was ready to build my first computer... I got fired, and had to hold off. Now I'm getting close to buying again, and I got a few more final (hopefully) questions.
Based on my research and advice I've received, this is what I'm thinking:

AMD X2 3800+
MSI K9N SLI Platinum
Western Digital Caviar 160GB SE WD1600AAJS
ASUS EAX1950PRO/HTDP

People have been suggesting the X1950Pro, but I'm wondering about this particular card. Look good? I can post more details if necessary.

Adata Vitesta 2 X 1 Gb
Cellshock V2 2 X 1Gb
Corsaire XMS2 2 X 1Gb

Actually, the list goes on and on for RAM now, those are just a few samples. I can now get decent RAM for around the same price as those listed at CL4, or one pair that is even CL3. Is it best to go for something CL 4 as opposed to CL5, or with this system is it more important to get a decent brand and something reliable? That being said, I think even some of the better brands now have CL4 DDR2 SDRAM for a good price.

So, what do people think of the combination? Is there any one component that is holding the others back too much, or out of sink with the others? I was thinking maybe that motherboard was a bit too fancy, I think there's a cheaper one called MSI K9N Ultra 2F, that would maybe suit me just as well? Probably won't be utilising SLI anytime soon.

I also need a case and power supply. WHat's the minimum wattage I would aim for with this system? I am on a limited budget, and I'd rather spend money on things that will make the 'puter more powerful than on things like power and case, but of course I don't want power to be a problem either.

I want the computer for gaming. I'm not that into FPSs, but on the other hand I want to play as much as I can, so as much gaming power for my buck is my goal (I've been looking at demo vids for BioShock recently and it's giving me wet dreams :whistling:)

So, let me hear your thoughts and advice, and thanks in advance.

PS. I'm in Denmark, so have limited availability. I can get most stuff, so go ahead and make suggestions if you think there's some part that would suit me better than what I've listed, but don't bother with links to NewEgg or anything :blink:

Edited by Junkman, 01 July 2007 - 06:00 PM.

Advertisements

Macs Suck

Macs Suck

• Pip
  • 9 posts
First of all i'm not that really into AMD CPUs. Intel has great CPUs. You should check out their site. I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 processor and it runs fast and smooth. I also don't really know much about AMD processors so sorry 'bout that. But I would go with Intel! And also I would recommend a Nvidia graphics card. They are great I have a Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS 256 MB and it produces amazing graphics and stunning rendering! You say you want a "gaming" computer, but I don't know if you are a hard core gamer, a medium gamer, or just a gamer. Lots of people say if you play a lot of games but am not an extreme gamer a 256 MB graphics card is good. Check out Intel's and Nvidia's websites! But remember graphics cards get expensive like mine which was around $100.00! and my processor was like around $200.00-$250.00. I also don't know how much you want to spend. $1,000.00; $2,000.00; $3,000.00; $4,000.00; $5,000.00; or more? If you tell me I can get back to you with some other advice. But I would go with Intel and Nvidia. You should also make sure everything is compatible with everything else!

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well the prices thing is tricky as I'm spending Danish kroner and buying from shops here, but as an approximation I'm probably spending roughly $1000 US, and buying everything except the monitor, modem, keyboard and mouse. So it is definately a bit of a budget system. Basically the components I listed add up to about 4000DK, out of my budget of about 5000DK, the last thousand being for case, power supply and DVD drive. This is one of the reasons I'm going with AMD, as they are (I believe) the better budget brand. Also I'm hoping maybe with an AM2 motherboard I can upgrade in a year or two to an AMD quad core, which are supposed to rock. And I believe that ATI card is the best available for that price. And finally, all things being equal I'd rather support AMD than intel, for the purposes of encouraging competition, and because Intel are known for their anti-competitive practices...
As for games, like I said, I want all I can get. I like RPGs best, and I'm most wanting games like Oblivian and Guild Wars and the NWNs series. But there will always be more games I want, and I'd like to play some high-end graphics games if I can, so the more graphical power the better.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
I have the X1950 Pro and I love it!. I havent had any problems with at all, I tottally reccomend it!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It is important to get a good brand of RAM. The generic stuff tends to fail more often and in many cases doesn't offer a lifetime warrenty like the bigger brands do. I usually go with the Corsair XMS2 myself. I have also heard good things from Kingston, Crucial, OCZ, and Mushkin.

I'm not a big fan of MSI. I would go with the k9n Neo-F (I think that is the second one you were refering to) over the platnium. But I personally try to avoid products that they slap a SLI sticker on to jack up the price. I would get a better CPU with the saved money. Possibly a 4200+ or 4600+.

I also need a case and power supply. WHat's the minimum wattage I would aim for with this system? I am on a limited budget, and I'd rather spend money on things that will make the 'puter more powerful than on things like power and case, but of course I don't want power to be a problem either.

Its very important that you get a power supply that will work efficently and last. Because of your limited budget you will probably want to look towards Termaltake, Coolermaster, or Hiper. They are some of the cheaper brands that still make quality PSUs. You definatly won't want a PSU that comes with a case. You should be looking at around 500 watts. Something like this would be good: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153052.

Cases are usually preference. I suggest atleast getting something steel with space for a 120mm back fan and possibly a 80mm top. Coolermaster makes some very nice cases and they aern't real expensive.

Nice games selection :whistling:.

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=209863 Cooler Master Centurion 530 ---OR---
http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=250354 Cooler Master Elite 330

http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=178072 Thermaltake TR2 W0101 550W

http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=206422 Corsair XMS2

Look good?

And actually both those mobos I mentioned are MSI, and both got good rewviews at Tom's hardware (if I remember correctly, will check later). But you're right I think, no point in paying for bells and whistles I ain't gonna use, and the money saved on a cheaper model may well be enough to go for the 4200+ now. I just checked the boards again though, and unless I'm mistaken, the cheaper Ultra only has space for two sticks of RAM, which I don't like. So I've had a quick look for a few more:

http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=383067 Abit AN52
http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=232570 ASRock ALiveSATA2-GLAN
http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=239499 ASUS M2N

Whadja think?

Edited by Junkman, 02 July 2007 - 10:24 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

First of all i'm not that really into AMD CPUs. Intel has great CPUs. You should check out their site. I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 processor and it runs fast and smooth. I also don't really know much about AMD processors so sorry 'bout that. But I would go with Intel! And also I would recommend a Nvidia graphics card. They are great I have a Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS 256 MB and it produces amazing graphics and stunning rendering! You say you want a "gaming" computer, but I don't know if you are a hard core gamer, a medium gamer, or just a gamer. Lots of people say if you play a lot of games but am not an extreme gamer a 256 MB graphics card is good. Check out Intel's and Nvidia's websites! But remember graphics cards get expensive like mine which was around $100.00! and my processor was like around $200.00-$250.00. I also don't know how much you want to spend. $1,000.00; $2,000.00; $3,000.00; $4,000.00; $5,000.00; or more? If you tell me I can get back to you with some other advice. But I would go with Intel and Nvidia. You should also make sure everything is compatible with everything else!

I'm sorry but I really need to comment on this post.
Thats fine that you don't like AMD processors, whether it is because of a past bad experience or your just a Intel fanboy, but please there is still a reason to buy AMD. No I am not a AMD fanboy, I have a Intel processor that I just bought. Regardless, for the budget end AMD is still a great performer, it's less $$$ then it's competitor, it's out performed by its competitor and an older microarchitecture, but this doesn't make it a bad processor. For the budget end, build for around 1100$ or less, I recommend AMD as the motherboards are generally cheaper, with the south bridge inter graded into the CPU.
Ram means nothing on a GPU, for example, a if there was a 4GB 7600GS, it would never beat the 728MB 8800GTX, not in any circomstance. Clock speeds of the core, memory, the type of memory, resolution your gaming at, GPU chip all have more of an impact then the physical RAM itself. ATI is just as good as Nvidia, price out the two cards, look at benchmarks. Just because you had a good past with a company doesn't mean it has a bright future or that all the other cards will be just as good at a certain price point when compared to a competitors.
One other things to point out, you always need to look at something from both angles, if you know nothing about a competitor, then you could easily be buying something for 400$ that is outperformed by a competitors product that is priced at 300$. :whistling:
Know everything about both competitors at the same price point to make the best investment with your money.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 July 2007 - 10:33 PM.

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
OK, just to summarise and revise, this is where I'm now at. Sorry to keep repeating and dragging this thread out, but I'm itching to buy, and just want to be sure I haven't made any silly mistakes I'm gonna regret later. And if you want to make a "I prefer this brand, myself..." comment, please bear in mind that I've done alot of searching and question-asking to get this far, so if it's gonna make a significant difference then go ahead, but if it's really just a negligible matter of personal taste, then I ask that you let me know that when you make the comment.

Corsair XMS2 TwinX Match 2X1Gb
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
ASRock ALiveSATA2-GLAN ----------OR---------
ABIT AN52
WD Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250 Gb
Radeon X1950 pro
Thermaltake TR2 W0101 550W
Cooler Master Elite 330

Obviously the only variable I've left in is the Motherboard, let me know which one you think better. They're both almost the same price for me.

Relevant links are of course in my previous posts. So, comments? :whistling:

Edited by Junkman, 03 July 2007 - 05:52 AM.

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I know this is a boring thread, but could a couple people please just give me a quick reassurance that this is all sweet? This is my first build by myself and I'm just a little afraid that if I go ahead and buy I'll find some problem with compatability or something. I'm just waiting for the OK from one or two Learned Geeks and then I'm gonna go ahead and do it. My credit card is burning a hole in my pocket and my curser is hovering over the purchase icon, just think of the power you have over the life or death of this machine!

Edited by Junkman, 03 July 2007 - 01:36 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The thread isn't "boring". This is what we enjoy doing. Helping people get into the great hobby of system building.

Don't get an ASRock. They are considered "value" boards. They are not high quality. Abit makes good boards but they are like Intel boards in the sense that they are very reliable but have limited BIOS options. Stick with the MSI neo-F or look into a good Gigabyte.

Good luck on your first build!

Edit: Couple tips for the first timer.

Read through your motherboard's manual before you begin. Will have loads of info that are specific to the motherboard that you purchase. Also Coolermaster cases usually don't assemble in conventional ways so also have a good look through it's manual.

Edit #2: James reminded me of another key thing to building. Patience

Edited by Titan8990, 03 July 2007 - 01:51 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just want to add something here we are in a different time zone and many people would have either been sleeping when your wrote your post (early in the morning for us) or working. This can cause delays between posts.
James

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Done, replaced the ASRock with an MSI K9N Neo-F.
So, cool now?
And thanks very much for replying :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, it looks good :whistling:.

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Cool, I'll probably go ahead and buy later today. Last chance to get in anything more...
And thanks to all who helped :whistling:

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I thought I was done - I was wrong. When I came to actually ordering I encountered a whole mess of new concerns, trying to get parts from as few places as possible to save on shipping, and dealing with defective websites and sites that say they have a part but then it turns out they don't have it in stock and it will be at least 10 days before they can send it out. So it's a bit of a juggling act deciding who to buy what from.

So, one or two more potential changes. Firstly, it turns out (for reasons mentioned above) that I can actually get a 4600+ for about the same price as the 4200+. I just want to confirm that this won't cause any problems, like making a 550W power supply too weak? Should I go for it?

Secondly, if I could order a PSU from this particular shop it would make things much simpler, but of course they have limited availability, so I'm wondering if this PSU would do the job:
http://www.lc-power....i...=3&a_id=109
I couldn't find the specs fully in English unfortunately, but I believe "mehr als 85% Effizienz" means 85% efficient...

I'm trying hard to be good and not go ahead and buy any inferior parts just to make things work out nicely or save a little time or money. So please let me know.
Thanks