Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading My Ram, Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Nirvana*

Nirvana*

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all, i need your help as i am looking to upgrade my ram in my pc. Currently i have a Hp media center PC, pentium D 2.8 ghz, and at the moment i have 2 512mb PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM 240-Pin sticks in, with a total of 4 slots(2 open currently). I am looking to get another gig or two and was wondering if it mattered whether the companies are different, (assuming they are the same speed) as hp ram is sooooo overpriced and i would not like to buy from them(they dont even have what i need surprisingly). here are the specs to my pc....
http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN

Here is a link to the two sticks of ram i am considering, please tell me if they are a good choice and which one of the two i should get.

First one: http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2030

Second one: http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2030

PS. I am leaning towards the kbyte one as it is $20 cheaper than the other, and on the second one, one person said it did not work on their media center pc which is what i have. Thanx for the help, hope to hear from you soon.

Nirvana :whistling:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I haven't heard of any of those brands, I personally prefer this link. It's Kingston, which is a very reputable brand, and the sticks have a full lifetime warranty. I also noticed that they do only come in 512MB sticks, but I still think you'd be better off. There's not much range in the 400MHz speed.

Nirvana*

Nirvana*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the suggestion, i was looking at that earlier however 512mb is really not an option as then i would be peaked out at 2gb compared to 3 and i really need 3. I am still leaning towards the first one and unless something happens and makes me change my mind i thinmk im going with that, still open for suggestions however

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
How about this one. It's a little less expensive, a better brand and no taxes. http://www.newegg.co...=OTC-pr1c3watch

Edited by MarkN, 02 July 2007 - 10:41 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Mark I don't think you noticed but that is "Dell" RAM. It would probably still work but I wouldn't chance it. Is there a specific reason you need 3GB? Two should be much more than XP would ever need.

Edited by Titan8990, 02 July 2007 - 02:10 PM.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Yeah, I did not notice that. I just started looking for the best deal within said parameters. It would be taking a chance. I thought the same about the 2gig being enough. But he may be running apps. that require the memory.

Edited by MarkN, 02 July 2007 - 02:20 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Or has some malware eating RAM and doesn't know it....

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I am looking to get another gig or two

First post quote

then i would be peaked out at 2gb compared to 3 and i really need 3

You could have just said so in the first place and saved me the time I spent, I agree with Titan there's pretty much no way you'd be noticing a difference with 3GB instead of 2GB RAM, what is it you NEED 3GB for anyway?

Edited by ruthandtroy, 02 July 2007 - 05:24 PM.

Nirvana*

Nirvana*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, well then what i am doing is i am going to buy 1 more gb kbyte ram and in the future will up to 3gb if ever needed. Tell me if u thikn this is good plan. Also, for a video card i am getting it says minimum of 350w power supply and i have 300w. i think ill see how it performs and upgrade if needed. Do u think i should wait and see if i need new supply, or buy it anyways? thanx for the help

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is really not a good idea.... Underpowering your graphics card will cause it to overheat and possibly damage it.

Edited by Titan8990, 02 July 2007 - 06:33 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Your plan sounds good, try 2GB and if it's not enough for you go to 3. I do think, though, that if you upgrade your motherboard so that you can get a faster speed RAM you'd be better off. I think you'll find 2 GB of 800MHz RAM will woop 3GB of 400MHz RAM.

As for your graphics card, post the make and model, preferably a link as well so we can check it out. Then we can recommend a PSU that will be well and truly powerful enough for the job. Trying to do it the way you have mentioned is bad, as Titan says above. I'd also like to add that you'd probably get blue screens and general unstability. There's more to a PSU than just the wattage.

Nirvana*

Nirvana*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
its a geforce 7300LE Turbocache 256mb card which im getting for free so thats def what im gonna use

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Even though it says 350 watts minumim you should look into 400 watts. $50 is about as cheap as your going to get without sacrficing too much quality. Something like this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817163030. The 7300 is a very power consuming card so in this case any quality 400 watt power supply would do.

Edited by Titan8990, 03 July 2007 - 01:48 PM.