Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused about Remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply

Wolf32

Wolf32

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
One small thing I can quite find the answer to...If I wanted remote users to connect to me remotely using remote desktop and I opened up tcp port 3389, couldn't any other random traffic connect if they were on that port also? If so, wouldn't that be a security threat?

Thanks

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to Networking forum. Geek U is not for your personal computer questions.

Wolf32

Wolf32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Moved to Networking forum. Geek U is not for your personal computer questions.

Oops :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yes...if you open up the port for remote desktop to the internet...then that port is open for anyone who finds it...however they would have to be able to log in to an account on your PC with the proper credentials to log in remotely (anyone in the remote desktop users group)....so you'll want to make sure to either disable the guest account or change it's password...as well as putting strong passwords on all accounts...

Wolf32

Wolf32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for your reply Dsenette. :whistling: FYI I used to live in Johnson City (if you are familiar with that area).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
never been....but i know where it is