Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Security Center

• Please log in to reply

ajcstr

ajcstr

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am running XP Home SP2. Malware has deleted the Security Center Service. Clicking the Security center icon reveals the Sec Center is unavailable.

How can I get the service back?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you haven't dealt with the malware

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

If you have dealt with the malware

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

Occasionally the system file check does not start using run, so you can also right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then click OK

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Check Microsoft update

ajcstr

ajcstr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD[/color]

So I would then install SP2 along with all the other windows updates?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Security centre comes with SP2

To run a system file check (sfc /scannow) Windows usually asks for the same disc type used for the install, you won't need to re-install SP2 because of that, or re-install any Windows Updates

Checking Microsoft Update is just to see if any were removed by the malware

ajcstr

ajcstr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
No,No, let me clarify. I have the XP installation disk, but I think its SP1 - so If I use that disk, I won't get security center back anyway - this is my confusion.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hands up on that one

I expect the system file check will take SP2 in to account

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Excuse me Keith, I've seen something like this before (but it might be different), mind if I pop in?

I am running XP Home SP2. Malware has deleted the Security Center Service. Clicking the Security center icon reveals the Sec Center is unavailable.

How can I get the service back?

Can you describe this a bit better for me? If it gives you an error saying the security center cannot open because the service is not started, or something similar, then you can start it again. If not, just ignore me... :whistling: