Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What Video Card Should I Buy? - Help

• Please log in to reply

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I would like a new video card.

The only game I really play is Guild Wars but I have seen the game run at a better frame rate than my current card can muster. Iím on a budget. I need to buy a laptop for my wife. I canít afford to buy both a new PC and a laptop any time soon. I certainly canít spend $800 on the top of the line NVIDIA card nor do believe that is really an option to me based on the age of my system.

I went to New Eggs site to look at cards. I was overwhelmed. In the $100 -$200 range, there seemed to be a slew of cards that all averaged 5 egg ratings from sever hundred reviewers.

Then there is the age of my system as I mentioned above. Most of my tech is circa 2001. I have an Intel D845HV motherboard that only supports 4X AGP cards. I was hoping to get a card that at least had PCIe but I think that is dependent on the motherboards ability to support.

Is there still a good card out there for me? Would it just make more financial sense to wait and buy a whole new up-to-date PC that will support current cards sporting the latest gaming chips? Should I just wait and get a Vista machine with DX10 and one of the newer cards that utilizes it?

Understand, my current ATI Radeon 9550 works well enough. Iíve been playing Guild Wars for over a year with more issues with Verizon DSL than with my system. Iím NOT a hardcore gamer. Iím a married guy who works full time with a baby on the way. Itís just been 6 years since Iíve updated my tech and a video card seemed like something that would generate a pleasant change.

Very open to and thankful for any advice. :whistling:

Edited by PuffGussy36, 02 July 2007 - 11:09 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I recommend either this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150174 for $150 which my actually be a bit more than you need or this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814103017.

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I had actually looked at the card in the first link. That seems like the way for me to go. Thanks for your suggestion. :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glad I could help.