Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS wont stop beeping

• Please log in to reply

tmh766

tmh766

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I just purchased a K8T890M2-V/K8M890M2-V board. I have a 300 watt power supply and PC3200 RAM with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor. When I turn it on, the fans spin and LEDs light up but the BIOS wont stop beeping and I don't get a POST screen nor does the monitor power on.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What brand is the board? I had this problem once and it turned out to be a "fan failure warning". Remove the battery on your motherboard for a few seconds and put it back in. This will clear your CMOS and put your BIOS settings back to the default. Your MOBO manual should contain a beep code chart. Usually a never ending beep will not be on the list. I think one long beep is typically a RAM issue.

Start with the CMOS clear and let us know how it goes. If you are still having problems more detailed information on your PC (such as # of RAM sticks) would be helpful. Also is this a new computer or did you just upgrade the board of an existing PC?

tmh766

tmh766

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey

Apparantly, the RAM was bad. (I was replacing a bad board and apparantly the RAM got killed too).

What a shame since there two 512 PC3200s :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yeh it is I lost a stick myself recently. Glad you got it figure out and welcome to Geeks to Go btw :whistling:.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
General rule of thumb on any computer that beeps is that it usually is one of two things: Memory or Graphics.
Boards with Phoenix/Award BIOSes only beep if there is a fault with the graphics card.
Boards with AMI Bioses tend to be graphics (eight beeps) or memory (three beeps). Other beeps sequences are available.
Dells tend to decide on a whim whether they're going to beep or not if a fault is present. :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Dells tend to decide on a whim whether they're going to beep or not if a fault is present. :blink:

So like, if it's a serious enough fault or something? Cool, an intelligent motherboard... :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Ruthandtroy, I had to read that twice before I caught the sarcasm....

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Ruthandtroy, I had to read that twice before I caught the sarcasm....

Even with my laughing emoticon? Oh, you must be having one of THOSE days... (Don't worry, I have them all the time :whistling: )