Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Power

• Please log in to reply

Ray J

Ray J

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi I have a Compaq desktop w/a 2.6 ghz processor 256 ram and running windows xp home. Yesterday when I went to hit the power button to turn computer on nothing happened. I am getting no sign of power, no noise or lights on the front. I have tried different outlets changed power cord stillo nothing. I have noticed that the green light on the back of the computer where the cord goes into the computer is on. I do have it running through a surge protector and we had not had any storms lately that might have caused a power surge. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Advertisements

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
What is your level of computer experience?

Are you comfortable with opening the case and making sure all the connections are in tact?

In the mean time, try this:

1) Unplug the power cord from the back of the computer
2) Press the power button in for 30 seconds then let go
3) Reinsert the power cord into the back of the computer
4) Is it working now?

If not:
Do you have another power supply you could swap in there? Would you happen to know the model of the computer?

Ray J

Ray J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
First off Thanks for the reply
The model is a S5100NX

I have had the case opened and see no loose connections

I have tried unplugging the cord and waiting 30 seconds per your instructions and still have nothing

I do not have an other power supply

Thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is the fan on the power supply turning?
If not, then the problem is most likely a power supply.
Do you have another suppy?
Are you comfortable in changing it out?

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Definitely, If you get absolutely nothing, it's usually either:

1) A bad power switch or connection with it
2) A bad power supply (happens much more often)

If you're comfortable with swapping it out yourself, go at it. If not, see if you can find a small, local shop, usually it'll be a lot less money and a lot faster than with the big guys.

PS. When you get her all fixed up, I'd get some more RAM for your computer, you'll definitely notice a difference with 512MB+.

Ray J

Ray J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am sure I can swap out a power supply, I wdo not have an extra but we have some old computers at work and will borrow one from there just to test. Thanks to all that replied will let you know how it turns out.