Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive and OS not working

• Please log in to reply

mrexter

mrexter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I just installed a new 120 GB hard drive in my Sony Vio (2001). I took out the old one and put in the new. Simple. Now, when I turn it on, it says "Operating System Not Found". I press F8 when the SONY splash screen comed up and can bedin to use the Sony System restore disc. I asks me if I want to continue, then O press "O" for OK, then it takes me to another screen that says that the new drive is not partitioned and to press "Y" to partition. I press the "Y" key, but nothing happens. The same screen also says "If you see this screen again, it may be caused by Non-DOS partitions. You must delete the Non-DOS partitions to proceed"

Any suggestions on how I get the Operating System to work?

Thanks

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You must have an operating system to put on it for example Windows XP. Your older operating system was installed on your other drive.

Edited by Titan8990, 02 July 2007 - 06:35 PM.

mrexter

mrexter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks,

I just put in my Windows XP disc and it loaded a few things, then took me to another screen that gives me three options:

1). To set up Windows XP hit Enter
2) Repair hit "R"
3). Quit hit F3

I hit Enter and nothing happens.

What now? Do I have to make 6 floppy discs like I read about on the microsoft website?

Thanks

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is the XP CD from a retail, OEM, or upgrade? What is the other thing you are refering to with 6 floppys?

mrexter

mrexter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I figured out the problem. I did not install the Keyboard correctly. The connection (ribbon cable) was not all the way in the slot, thus the keyboard was not working.

Now when I hit Enter, Windows XP installs correctly and the Hard Drive and comper are working good.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice.

P.S. The reason why I thought the keyboard was working in the first place was because I thought that I had to hit the F8 key in order to make the CDROM boot up. This lead me to believe that since I was hiting the F8 key, the keyboard must have been working. Only today when I started the computer and did not hit any keys, the compter still booted off the CDROM, so I started to think that I was not doing anything to make this happen and maybe the keyboard was not attached and was not working.

Thanks again

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Great going! I hate it when silly things like that get me completely stumped, happens all the time :whistling: Any other problems, give us a yell.