Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq 5WV295 Drivers Not Working on WinXP

• Please log in to reply

Budzo

Budzo

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello I have a Compaq 5WV295 presario 5000 series PC and it is giving me issues with drivers on a recent upgrade from ME to XP I am trying to get miscellaneous drivers and having issues. I have an Nvidia Riva TNT M64 graphics card and when I go to Nvidia site and go to graphics drivers and get the appropriate model it gives me an error when I run the install that I do not have the appropriate hardware for this driver when I run the V.90 Modem drivers it restarts my machine am I having driver issues with this CPU or is it an OS problem I am unsure maybe someone can help me. I am also having issues trying to install my Linksys wireless network card to install the drivers from cd drive my computer reads the drive when I open it through MY COMPUTER but when I use my browse feature it doesnt want to read CD. The only way it seems to wanna work is when I do it through the new hardware wizard but like I said when I try to read cd doing it that way it doesnt wanna read it. What drivers do I need am I looking in the wrong spot I would think the manufacturer drivers would work I dont understand why im having issues with these.

Edited by Budzo, 02 July 2007 - 11:57 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
With big brand-name computers such as those from Compaq the hardware inside it is often customised with special features made specially for the PC manufacturer. The result of this is that the drivers also have to be customised, so they are supplied to the end-user by the PC manufacturer (via their website). Drivers available elsewhere (such as directly from the device manufacturer) won't work with Compaq-customised hardware.

Unless the Compaq website has made XP drivers available for your PC you are going to struggle to get the hardware to work, since they (Compaq) usually only offer support for the operating system that was pre-installed when you bought it new.

You may have to purchase and fit your own graphics card to replace the current customised one in order to get round the driver incompatibilty issue.