Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

likeplay

likeplay

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi people

as usual some of you might have seen this problem before.

i'm experiencing black desktop, no icons or taskbar

i can only use the computer via Taskamanager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)

i have done the scan using many programs (adware,spyware,anti virus)

this happened yesterday after i downloaded a zip file from the net and clicked on it and nothings happen.

so i was bored and went on and scan my registry using REGISTRY MECHANIC and after scan i did compact the registry.

after compacted its restart and "BANG" Empty Destop

i tried to open my explorer.exe using run.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe
C:\Windows\explorer

the desktop and taskbar came back for a second and it's gone again.

i did try the system restore but nothings happen.

even in safe-mode there's no desktop still.

anyway i cant locate the explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe

in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe

XP home edition

somebody please help

Advertisements

likeplay

likeplay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HijackThis log removed.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hello,

'this happened yesterday after i downloaded a zip file from the net and clicked on it and nothings happen.'

I will take someone a bet that little file you downloaded, Is a virus/trojan etc

I would post this in the malware forum and see what the professionals can come up with :-)

And in the future, try not to download stuff from unknown websites if that was the case, even worse, if you have no idea what the file is, don't open it!!

likeplay

likeplay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
๊U need that file?

i actually deleted it but i went to download it again to scan but no result of virus or anything

Zakilla

Zakilla

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes, Please post a fresh hjt log in the malaware fourms because you do have some dirty stuff on your log.

Thanks,
Zak

likeplay

likeplay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The above is the fresh one

anyway thanks so much for fast reply :whistling:

likeplay

likeplay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Lastest News

When i go to any file and Right Click>Explore

the icon and taskbar will be back for a second and gone agian

and it says

"Windows cannot find '/e,/idlist,:900:1236,C:\Documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again. To search for a file, Start button, and then click Search"

the underline part(C:\Documents) can be change depends on what folder i click to explore

likeplay

likeplay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Bump

Somebody help me please. :whistling:

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
All I can say on this one is that I've seen it before. I don't know if it's a virus or spyware or what, but the system was heavily infested with nasties, so I'm assuming it's at least malware related. Time constraints were in place, so I attempted a repair install of XP which didn't work (the issue persisted.) So don't waste your time trying that. Sorry I can't help further.

likeplay

likeplay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Problem solved.

No need for formatt or Repair windows xp or what so ever..

what i did is i delete my theme(styleXP) and download Google Desktop and uninstall it

becoz i found that some ppl had experience same problem after download Google desktop, so that got me to a try.

anyway i'm not really sure if it's about the problem with the theme.

if any of you having the same problem do search on google and try everythings out.

Edited by likeplay, 04 July 2007 - 01:05 AM.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Thanks for posting your solution! Just did some research on my own and it looks like that will do it in some cases. That machine I was working on was pretty far gone anyways so I'm glad that it was wiped, but this is great to know for future reference :whistling:

Zakilla

Zakilla

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
hello likeiplay,

Glad you fixed your little problem but i would recommend that you post a fresh hjt log in the Malware forums >> http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html becuase in your last log you have some malware.

Zak

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
The others are absolutely correct. Your computer is severely infected, and I sincerely hope you'll get help in our Malware Forum. I will post instructions to follow.

As a note: NO ONE is allowed to give ANY type of malware advice unless they are a staff member.....not even to determine whether they are infected or not.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.