Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2nd hand dvd rom help

• Please log in to reply

bogged

bogged

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello. I have installed a 2nd hand dvd drive. My question is, is it a cd burner as well?

I tried to burn a music disk using nero 5. It asked me to choose a RECORDER (or if I click the choose recorder tab) the only choice is IMAGE RECORDER.....VIRTUAL DEVICE. Using this just saves a .NRG file, of my compilation, to my C:...though it goes through the burning process.

If I go through START-SETTINGS-CONTROL PANEL-SYSTEM-DEVICE MANAGER-CD ROM and expand it, the drive shows up as ATAPI COMBO52Xmax

Specs... the front of the dvd drive says....Diamond Data...Compact disk rewritable....DVD Rom
The label inside says...Diamond data dvd rom... Combo drive..Mitsubishi...Model No. DD16C52-061

Computer is pentium 3 running win98se.

Thanks...Bogged.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You have a combo drive.
These will read CDs, write CDs and play DVDs. They will not write DVDs.

Nero 5 editions are tied to the CD units they came with originally and will not work on any other drive. Ideally you need to source a copy of Nero 6 which is generic and not tied to any specific unit.

bogged

bogged

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the advice Neil. Luckily I have a copy of nero 6.

Thanks again for your effort and knowledge. It's much appreciated.

Bogged.