Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet pauses for seconds... just called Verizon

• Please log in to reply

Punker1234

Punker1234

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello. My topic is horrible but its hard to describe this problem in a tiny sentence, so here we go!

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but about a week when my roomate and I tried to use our internet, it asked us to go ahead and re-activate our internet. We were confused, I tried messing with it and activating it once again but no go(it's been active for over 3 months). So we call Verizon and get it all taken care of, but since we've called I've had nothing but problems. My roommate hasn't mentioned anything but shes wired, and I'm wireless.

So let me explain the problem. Basically the connection generally doesn't disconnect, it'll stay with a great signal. What will happen though, is the internet will pause. I use mozilla, in the bottom left hand corner it will just say "Looking up www.xxxxx.com" I just tried it right now in fact, it will sit for a few seconds and end sup with "Problem loading page". A lot of the times it'll sit there for seconds or even a minute. But I could try it 5 seconds later and it might work, it seems so off and on. BUT, windows doesn't really tell me that it disconnects from the wireless connection. I'm just so confused/frustrated.

I'm good with computers, okay with wireless and network connections. As of now, I've made sure my IP is obtain automatically. I changed the channel in which the connection is on, as we have a few int he area. There are 3 on channel 6, and I'm on 11. Heard the farthest away is best. I've tried repair connection, renewing etc. Interesting to know that when I use Windows Wireless connection, it will work, but poorly like I said. When I use the Linkys program, it will connect but say no internet is available, and it wont work at all.

Now, I'm assuming it's something that Verizon did. It was acting up maybe 2-3 days BEFORE the activation incident came up, but even since then it's been doing it. For the last 3 months the connection was flawless and now is poop. It's horrible just browsing the net. I tried reading up, and how Verizon has to issue us two IP addresses possibly? or I could be off there not sure.

I've checked the Windows Event log, and it seems theres a lot in there from sources TCPIP which says its information and a few from DHCP which gives a warning.

TCPIP says:

The system detected that network adapter Linksys...PCI Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

DHCP says:

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address XXXXXXXXXXXX. The IP address being used is 169.254.XXX.XXX

There are some from Service Control Manager as well and its just information:

The Wireless Zero Configuration service entered the stopped state.
The Wireless Zero Configuration service entered the running state.
The Wireless Zero Configuration service was successfully sent a start control.

I tried to provide as much information as possible, if you need me just let me know. I thank you in advance for taking the time to help me. Thanks! -Jeff

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The problems about being unable to connect to a page over a working internet connection are almost always caused by firewall software. Also issues regarding being unable to connect to devices such as routers when previously able to are also always almost caused by firewall software. A 169 address means Windows was unable to get an IP address from wherever it was looking for one. Again this can be caused by firewall software.

Punker1234

Punker1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Always used one and never had a problem, and I even disabled all software ones. I have a router which obviously has one built in, but the internet still works for my roommate who is also connected to the router. Any other ideas? Its so frustrating haha, not sure what happened.