Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Says hard drive not found

• Please log in to reply

inheritedhornet

inheritedhornet

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi, it rained heavily with thunder and lightning like 2 days ago. The power kept going on and off. I should have unplugged the laptop because my hard drive died last year and the guy said that was the reason. From then on, the time on the laptop was like 2 hours off. I kept resetting it but it would go back to the old time again. I turned it on this morning and this is what i got. ive experienced the blue screen before but never this.....can anyone tell me what this means? Is it repairable or no? Thanks in advance

This as soon as i turn it on:

Posted Image

And this was after i pressed any key. Even when i didnt press any key, after a few minutes, it went to the same thing. here:

Posted Image

Edited by inheritedhornet, 03 July 2007 - 04:56 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks as if the BIOS is badly damaged. It is either corrupted or the chip itself is damaged.

The first thing that I would do is to try and enter BIOS pressing repeatedly, after pressing the power button, DEL or F2 key or whatever key is required for that. If,and it's a big if, you manage to enter BIOS (usually called Setup or some other name of this nature) set it to default values (in other places it is called fail-safe or something like that). If you do not succeed for any reason then the cmos component must be reset to bring the BIOS to the original default settings. For this you have to disconnect the laptop from any power source (battery and wall socket) and pull the cmos battery out for about 15 minutes. Then you have to install the battery and reboot.

If you can reach the battery by removing one of the easilly removable small covers at the bottom of the computer go for it. If you don't find the battery or in doubt take the computer to a lab. If you succeed but keep getting error messages after the reset take the computer to a lab.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What happens after you hit the F1 key when you get to the second set of errors?

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
You could always try and flash the BIOS...just a suggestion though....

inheritedhornet

inheritedhornet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Is the BIOS the same thing as the motherboard? i tried removing the battery for 15 minutes and putting it back but it still doesnt work. When i hit the F1 key, it still gives me that message in the first pic.

How do i flash a BIOS....is it something i can do myself? I paid 150 for the laptop 2 years ago and i think it has run its course. LOL

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The bios is " basic input output system". It is the first thing seen when the comp gets turned on. Basicly, it tells the comp how to work. Things, simply put, but also much more detail (like, HD type and size, floppy, CDrom, memory, pci, etc, etc)
The bios is not the same as the motherboard. It is in flash memory on the motherboard.

There are 2 batteries. The first battery you are familiar with is the main computer battery you use when NOT using the wall or AC power. Leaving that battery out will do no good.
The other battery is on the motherboard and is the size of a watch battery. It is used to hold some of the bios functions. Pulling this battery out for 15+ minutes will reset the bios to default. This might get you going IF, you can get access to it thru 1 of the removable doors on the lappy.
This is the battery we want pulled.

Flashing the bios will fix corrupted /errors with it, HOWEVER, we need to know make and model and bios revision on it now.

inheritedhornet

inheritedhornet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Is this the battery? I found this one below the bigger, square one i had removed earlier

Posted Image

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thats it, but with the wires attached, I am not sure how it comes out. I suspect the little phillips screw. But, if the wires are physically attached to the, there has to be a way to detach the wires from the computer. What is not clear is if there is a connector at the end of the red and black wires.
It is accessable, has a part number, so therefore should be relaceable/ removable.
Be careful and see if there is a way to disconnect the battery.