Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lexmark X5470 Bootup issues

• Please log in to reply

Teddi777

Teddi777

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!
I have had an ongoing problem with a new Lexmark x5470 printer I purchased a few months ago. When I have it installed and operating, it will be fine until the next bootup, when it will freeze during the boot for about 10 minutes. Then it will boot up and everything will run normally. I have actually paid to have this computer wiped and reformatted, which I never do.. only to find out when the guy brought the computer back.. that the printer was the issue. He had no ideas.. so I researched this until I am blue in the face and it could be one of two things that I can see:

1. The usb isn't connected to a 2.0 port. I bought a 2.0 USB hub to try to rectify the problem, but with approx 6 USB ports, it's hard to decide which one is the 2.0 enhanced. It could be that all of them are, but control panel only shows one and the others as 1.1.

2. The problem could be, I've read, that the system is booting up with the drivers and supposedly I can fix that in sysedit, but I don't know how.

I really can't afford a new printer. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How old is the printer and how long have you had it? It may still be under consumer law warranty, and if it is you should use it.

It sounds like your printer has internal issues. If these have continued with the same symptoms after the computer was wiped, then its purely a printer problem. Unfortunately new printers have tumbled in price now and its often far cheaper to buy a new one than replace the old one.

Teddi777

Teddi777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had the printer for about 5 months. The printer works fine, the problem seems to be when the computer tries to boot up from the printer drive. It takes forever to boot. I've read about others having this problem as well, but I don't know how to fix a boot up issue and I thought that maybe Geeks to go could help, but there doesn't seem to be any interest from the managers. This happened the last time I posted here too. Sporadic interest, low response, I never received the help I needed and ended up paying a service tech to fix this issue.. which remains unfixed. I'll contact Lexmark again and request a new printer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

This happened the last time I posted here too. Sporadic interest, low response, I never received the help I needed and ended up paying a service tech to fix this issue.. which remains unfixed. I'll contact Lexmark again and request a new printer.

First and formost...remember that everyone here is a volunteer (even the admin of the site...he's not getting rich off of us here) and we answer questions when we have time, think we know the answer, or want a challenge....we do this because we like it...you have to accept that sometimes questions might go unanswered...this site offers (in my opinion) the absolute best help on the net with regards to free computer assistance..

the problem seems to be when the computer tries to boot up from the printer drive.

what does that mean? are you seeing a message somewhere that says it's booting from something on the printer? if so...that makes no sense

with the printer installed...try booting in safe mode...
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Lexmark x5470 printer has a built-in card reader, I don't quite follow how the computer is able to boot off it. In fact I don't even think the computer would be able to see the card reader on the printer outside of a Windows environment, surely?

In any case if the computer is trying to boot off this device (and most modern computers will try to boot off anything they can talk to), the OP should be able to change the boot order in the BIOS so it fires off the CD first and the the first hard drive.