Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Both DVD Drives are malfunctioning!

• Please log in to reply

leirud

leirud

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I purchased a Dell XPS 400 system 2 years ago. I have a TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C and a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B installed. Running WinXP, all updates installed.

For the past month I could not burn DVD RWs on the 4164B (but I could burn DVD R). I used Sonic & Nero. It would say there were errors writing to the disk. As of today, when I try to play DVDs on it, I get this error: "Media Center cannot detect a video DVD in the DVD-ROM drive. Insert a video DVD into the drive." No other apps work. I am trying to play store bought DVDs.

A few days ago, the H352C stopped working. When I try to play a DVD in it, I get a blue screen telling me I need to restart the computer.

I'm not too good when it comes to drivers and such. From what I can understand, it seems both drives are the product of corporate collaborations, the HL being Hitachi and LG, and the TSST being Toshiba and Samsung. Additionally, none of the corps have no responsibility to the user, and Dell is of no help. The warranty has run out so I am not bothering with Dell at this point.

I can not find updated drivers for either drive, but I have found updated firmware on the Dell website. I've loaded each drive with the appropriate firmware and that changed nothing. I don't know what to do next other than buy new drives or reinstall Windows. I would greatly appreciate any help and advice.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Go to control panel > system > hardware > device manager. Expand DVD/CD-rom drives, right click on one of the drivers and choose Uninstall. Repeat for the other driver. Now reboot the computer and let windows reinstall the drivers .

leirud

leirud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply.... I did what you said, but it didn't help.

Also, because of something I read somewhere, I used jv16 Power Tools to clean and compress the registry. That actually had some effect on my DVD-RW (it plays some CDs and DVDs now, but not reliably. Sometimes the playback skips, other times it doesn't acknowledge the DVD at all). This had no effect on the other drive....arg....

I am preparing to reinstall Windows. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

leirud

leirud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, my pc kept getting worse till the point that it would not boot. I ended up tossing both drives and replacing one (I didn't really need 2). and replacing the graphics card as well.....now a restore of windows to finish it off and it should be as good as new...