Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Help

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I currently own a Samsung SyncMaster 731BF Monitor. It is a very nice monitor with 2ms response rate and a 2000:1 contrast ratio. Anyways, I play a lot of online video games. Such as BF2, BF 2142, CSS, Far Cry, etc. As of lately, I will be in the middle of a game, and all of the sudden my monitor will go black. In the top right corner it keeps on switching between analog and digital. It seems like it can't pick up the signal or something. My monitor to the pc is a VGA cable, but since my video card doesn't have ay VGA slots, I am using a DVI/VGA connector to connect the monitor to the PC. Any help would be appreciated.
Just found a link to the adapter I have.
http://www.mcbworld....GA-adapter2.jpg

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 03 July 2007 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried a different monitor? do you have a diff monitor to check with? if you can...try that...it will tell us if it's a monitor issue or a video card issue

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
I could try to use my brothers monitor. But how would I test it. Just use it for like a few days and see how things go?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yep....do the same things you normally do on your pc with his monitor...and heck...for a more thorough test...have him use his computer with your monitor...see if his starts screwing up

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Ok, I will switch them up right now, an I will give it a few days and see how its goes.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Ok, well I switched up the monitors about 20 minutes ago. I decided to play the FarCry demo and see if anything went wrong. About 10 minutes into the game, the monitor again went black. I could still hear the game through my speakers, but no visuals. I had to turn of my PC and the monitor, then turn on the PC and the monitor and I got visuals back. So rgiht now I am thinking its the video card. I custom ordered my pc from http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ and I have a warranty on it and all the parts. I am going to call them in a bit, what do I say to them???

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
tell them exactly what you're experiencing and what you've done...tell them that you're pretty sure that there is something wrong with the video card...but that you're willing to try any new troubleshooting steps....but make sure to mention that it's happend with MULTIPLE monitors....that will cut down a few steps on the phone...they should send out an RMA no problem

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Ok, thanks so much. I will let you know what happens and what happens!

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Do you think its weird that it only happens when I am bout 10 - 15 minutes into games??? :whistling:
I also called them and I have to bring my PC into them and they will check it out..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the GPU might be overheating.....if it has a fan...the fan might have died

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I think it was overheating. Because I just took of the case and put a desk fan blowing into the case at full blast. I played a game for about an hour with no prboblem at all. How could I see if the GPU fan died???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...if your graphics card has a fan on it....open the side of the case....and turn the computer on....is the fan spinning? if not...she's dead...if there's no fan...well then it could still be overheating

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
lol, I just didn't know if there was a more techinal way to do it :whistling:

Well I checked and the fan was running quite fast. It was pretty dusty but I did shoot some compressed air into it(while it was off, and I was holding the fan blades so they wouldn't move) but still the problem. So now I really don't know what to do. Any suggestions???

PS I have a thermometer on the front of my PC, and it is always seems to be at 86. Not sure if thats farenheit or Celsius. Bt I am pretty sure its farenheit since its American parts and and American made, an in America!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could still be overheating....if the card is old or just been caked with dirt too long etc...it could still be thermally related

I am pretty sure its farenheit since its American parts and and American made, an in America!

you think so eh?

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Heres a link to the screenshot I just took of SpeedFan.

http://img62.imagesh...=cputempdm4.jpg