Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error messages 4261 and 4200

• Please log in to reply

Kelli95212

Kelli95212

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I need to know if someone could please help me correct the errors: 4261 and 4200. I have been trying to burn music to cd's and it will start and then stop and I get these error messages. "The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (4261)." and "The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (4200)."

I do not understand what I need to do to fix this.
I burned 3 cd's yesterday and it worked fine.
I have a Compaq Presario SR1250NX Desktop PC.
Any help would be very much appreciated, I have a reunion that I have to take these to and I do not know what I am going to do.
Thank you so much.
Kelli

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Are you using CD-R's or CD-RW's? What program are you using when it fails? What program are you using when it does work? Have you tried reducing the burn speed?

Kelli95212

Kelli95212

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am using CD-R's.
It fails with windows media, itunes and sonic.
With media player and sonic it will burn the cd once in a while, but the last four songs jump around when played.
Itunes will not burn at all.
I finally got real player to work..so far so good.
Yes I have decreased the burn speed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

joseph426

joseph426

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) :)

I am using CD-R's.
It fails with windows media, itunes and sonic.
With media player and sonic it will burn the cd once in a while, but the last four songs jump around when played.
Itunes will not burn at all.
I finally got real player to work..so far so good.
Yes I have decreased the burn speed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

:) :) I am using i tunes and I have been receiving this message for the past 4 months, not before. "The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (4200)." Record Now works, so I know my CD burner is fine. I've uninstalled and re-installed the i tunes many times and it does not clear the problem. This is my first e-mail to "Geeks to Go." I have a 4 year old HP Pavilion. Any help will do. Thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you tried using a different brand of CD media?

I know you said you tried reducing the burn speed, but did you reduce the burn speed to 2X or so?

Is this a CD-RW or a combo DVD/CD-RW drive?

What is running on your system when you are trying to burn CDs? What shows in the Process tab of Task Manager?

joseph426

joseph426

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am using a CD-RW. I have tried 3 different brands of CD-RW's. I will now decrease the speed to 2X's and hope that corrects the problem. Thanks