Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cheap DVD

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
One of the last components I need for my build is a DVD player. Never had one or used one before. I just want something that will get the job done, including preferably writing both DVDs and CDs. Everyone seems to think this can be achieved for the price of dirt these days, but I must admit I'm finding the search a little confusing, like apparently there is a difference between DVD + RW and DVD +/- RW, but I don't know what it is. Oh, and I don't know what DVD RAM is either. If not writing CDs makes things easier, that's fine. If writing DVDs is actually significantly more expensive then I can do without that too, I just heard it was cheap now. Obviously a decent read speed would be nice, but that doesn't generally come into play very often does it? And a slow writing speed is fine as I won't be doing that very often at all.
So please recommend a few cheap ones that will work.
Here's a quick sample of what is available to me. If you can find something on this list that is fine, that would be preferable.

http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=245675 NEC AD 5170A
http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=195535 Pioneer DVR 111D
http://www.edbpriser...s.asp?ID=382253 LiteOn DH-20A1P

I don't even really know the difference between them :whistling: And to be honest I'm kinda burned out from all my other research into my build plus the night shifts I've been working, so if this is one area where I could avoid more learning and just trust someone's recommendation that would be cool.
Thanks all

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

apparently there is a difference between DVD + RW and DVD +/- RW, but I don't know what it is.

in their infinite wisdom...the people who came up with the DVD standard couldn't agree on things all at once...so they made DVD + RW and DVD - RW...a DVD + drive won't read a - disk and a - drive wont read a + disk...so if you get the +/- drive...it will read both

Oh, and I don't know what DVD RAM is either

DVD RAM is basically a different kind of Rewritable DVD ( read This for more info)

If not writing CDs makes things easier, that's fine.

all DVD burners can write to CD's as well

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
er...that read in the first explanation should be write to....i'm pretty sure they can all read + or -....just can't write to both unless it specifically says so (i.e. says +/-)

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ahhh, so + and - are just like different formats, like Beta and VHS? That makes sense... and yet is totally stupid at the same time :whistling:
Thanks.
So any cheap +/- RW will do pretty much? Any concerns to take note of?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pretty much...

i'd personally say that MOST DVD drives are the same thing...they all use roughly the same equipment to make them etc....HOWEVER it's my personal experience to try to avoid off brand stuff or referbished equipment...for some reason when i venture into either of these two realms....i get burned (instead of the disks...get it? it's a joke...oh well)....